Monday, January 30, 2006

The Universally Known... Nod

I bet these guys use "the nod"

It’s universal, guys use it on a daily basis as a means to communicate, say hi, say hello, and even say what’s up… It’s the nod. Yes, a guy can communicate without even opening his mouth. We like to keep things simple and quick, not because we value time, but because we’re lazy.

Here’s how it works. Two guys walking past each other in hallway, on a field, in a parking lot, you name it. One guy sees the other and acknowledgment is made, with a slight nod with the head. The other person nods back, and voila! Everyone’s is happy.

The nod comes in two brands:

The first brand is the one where the guy’s head starts at the horizontal, and it’s then raised about 10 degrees. The second type, which is less popular, is where the head starts at the horizontal, and then it’s lowered. On a lazy day, you can expect the nod to transform into the “eyebrow lift,” which is equal in power, but with much less muscle movements. Although, caution must be used when using the “eyebrow lift,” since it can be easily missed, due to the slight range movement.

I personally like to enhance “the nod” by moving my lips while nodding. I use this especially when I’m walking through the plant at work, since the noise makes the other person think that I said something, and he just couldn’t hear it. That I way I kill two birds with one stone, I nod and I pretend I said hi, how are you.

The beauty of the nod lies in its “universalness.” You can use it all over the world, and everyone will understand it. Even better, it can be used with people you’ve never even talked to as a sign of friendliness. It gets better when you forgot someone’s name… I’m telling you it’s a life saver!

If for some odd reason you haven’t witnessed the nod, or even used it, then you’re missing out. So go out there, and get nodding. You have no idea how much it helps in acknowledging people.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1/31/2006 6:14 AM, Blogger Dar said…

    Lol Omar , you r such a lazy guy , but it was funny to hear yr analysis about a universal sign ;) bs ana 3ajbatni hai , " i move my lips " hehe
    Cheeeerz!

     
  • At 1/31/2006 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *nod*, hmm that wasnt too bad:p

    and btw why pretend to say "hi", man thats more exhausting than acutally saying "hi" :p

     
  • At 1/31/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger x said…

    Dar, I can teach my ways. You just ask, or nod!

    See ohoud, It's easy and effective. Let me me welcome you to my blog, with a nod.
    And on a cheesy but serious note, your blog gets my "nod" of approval. Awesome design! and cool "architecture".. get it ? ;)

     
  • At 1/31/2006 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now i wish you i were a guy just so that i could get away with the nod....girls have more complex interactions, they're annoying sometimes....

    from guy to girl, i noticed that its a nod-wink though ;) and that's another two-birds with one stone right there :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home