Sunday, February 05, 2006

Regarding the Vandalism of Danish Embassies - Perspective From a Syrian Living Abroad

Picture taken from The Damascene Blog

I want to be able to read people’s minds, particularly the minds of those who torched the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus, and the Danish Embassy in Beirut. It boggles my mind the way some people think.

How does setting an embassy on fire, improve the situation? Why burn the embassy of a country, when the officials in that country expressed their concern over the cartoons?

I don’t get it! If anything we are now in a worse situation than we were before. I can just imagine millions of people in Europe right now saying “see, I told you so”. What bothers me is how easy it is for a bunch of thugs to come along and create such a horrible image for Arabs. The people who commit such acts are the ones who fuel the western media with excellent news stories which further echo Arab fanaticism and ignorance.

I find the acts shameful. Violence and vandalism is not an answer to any problem. We know better than that. While most of us asked for fairness and respect from the Danes, we should now apologize for what has happened to their embassies. Although none of us supported this sort of action in the first place, I find it only appropriate to apologize on the behalf of the morons who committed the torching.

I also demand an investigation to track down those responsible for the vandalism, and to hold them responsible. We cannot hold a double standard, asking fairness and respect from the Danes and not providing it.

Lastly, I hope people don’t take the actions of a few thugs as representative of the Syrian or Lebanese people. Just like we expressed our voices of concern over the cartoons in the first, we’re all expressing our views again over the shameful acts. We, the rational, should work together to show the world that there’s more to Arabs than what they see on television. If I learned anything from the cartoon fiasco, it’s that our views, beliefs and culture are not well known to the west. I think this whole situation could have been prevented if there wasn’t much ignorance on both sides of the table.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 2/05/2006 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Arabs are a very hot-headed group of people, so I think everybody saw it coming. I agree with you, this wasn't the way to respond to the Danes, especially when it reinforces the stereotypes placed on Muslims. But then again, I feel like they did it in mockery as well: "You think we're terrorists, I'll show you terror". I'm just really surprised it started in Syria and Lebanon, I would've expected it to start somewhere else....

     
  • At 2/06/2006 12:45 AM, Blogger Omar said…

    I'm afraid that people on the outside WILL take those thugs as representatives of the Syrian people.. The invisible civilized ones who condemned and expressed their disgust with these barbarian acts (like most of the Syrian bloggers around here) will remain unknown, and the images of the mobs running around the burning embassies will become the defining visuals to what the Syrian people look like.

    I still can't comprehend how could anyone argue a positive thing coming out of this. when people around the world do their best to fuse the continents and bring countries closer, our people do their best in making sure that this doesn't happen.

    a few years from now, when the EU, the US, and all other countries (Canada included) will wash their hands clean from our case (as we will be regarded as dangerous grounds for forigners) I would really like to see how this genious masterminds -who orchestrated this charade- plan on saving this country..

    I just hope someone knows how to practice alchemy, cos otherwise, I don't see anything else that can help!!

     
  • At 2/07/2006 12:12 AM, Blogger x said…

    Queenie, I couldn't agree more. It too surprised me that the vandalism started in Syria, and I think that issue raises a few question marks. I hope this surge of radical behaviour stops, before things escalate further.

    Omar, I think so too. CNN and the major netoworks will focus on the radicals, leaving our voices out. Although to be fair, I got an e-mail from the BBC asking me to paraticipate in a radio program. The person who contacted me, was interested in making my view heard, hence presenting the other side of the story. All that said, I think we should remain optimistic and do our part in presenting our views.

     
  • At 2/07/2006 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a Danish remark: I know the violence is not the syrian population's work. its the goverment who is behind.
    I dont see muslims or Arabs as terrorist, plaese dont think of all danes as racist, as people who see you as terrorist. Please dont say that the danes wouldnt apoligize.
    Right now it is easy to depicture arabs as people from the stoneage, as terrorist, and danes/europes as racist and materialistic - we all have to make a differences between goverment/movements/partys/combanys (you name it) and civil population.

    ¤MAlte

     
  • At 2/08/2006 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why now? why is the arab world upset now? its been reported that the cartoons were published in an egyptian paper many months ago.

    http://freedomforegyptians.blogspot.com/2006/02/egyptian-newspaper-pictures-that.html

    why no boycott of egypt?

     
  • At 2/08/2006 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel Pipes is widely regarded among many pro-Muslim and leftist groups in the United States as a 'hardline' far-right anti-Islamic scholar and commentator. Some even accuse him of hating Muslims.

    Nevertheless, he has some pretty wise words about this cartoon fight and about what it is and what it isn't. One thing it isn't is the 'class of civilizations' everyone keeps talking about, according to Pipes:

    http://www.danielpipes.org/article/3361

     
  • At 2/08/2006 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pardon my typo, I meant 'clash' not 'class.' Duh?

     
  • At 2/09/2006 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I completely agree with what you have said...it has made me so mad to see the way Muslims are reacting all over the world. Why do we have to feed into the media's stereotype of us? Why can't we just prove them wrong for once? The image of Islam is already tarnished. We should be working to promote understanding, and like you mentioned, how can we expect people to respect our religion when WE can't even do that? Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) would have never retaliated in such an ineffective way. He taught our Ummah love and respect, and never retaliated with force. Where have our values and morals gone? Oh, it's so easy to get mad and burn a flag, but to retain our respect and dignity is a far more effective approach.

    Muslims have a loooong way to go before they can demand respect from the world. The Danish paper had NO RIGHT to publish such things about our Prophet (PBUH), but people should be more peaceful in their protests. I know for a fact that many have chosen to boycott Danish products, and their economy is already feeling the effects of that. Approaches such as this one are the types we should be exercising.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 11:10 PM, Blogger x said…

    Malte, thanks for your words.. It's encouraging to hear people like you :)

    n=1, I really really really appreciate the translation. I did notice visitors coming from your site. Feel free to direct or translate any posts on my blog. You're a great help in getting the message across. Once again thanks :)

    Mike, I read the article. I would have to read more about Rushdie's book in order to agree/disagree with Pipe's article. Anyway, Pipes seems to have done his research..

    Jinan, thanks for droppping by. Glad we have one more rational voice to add to the list

     
  • At 12/18/2015 8:18 PM, Blogger 柯云 said…

  • At 3/18/2016 3:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

Post a Comment

<< Home