Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Lingo Lesson 2



Due to popular demand, here’s another lingo lesson.

Sick:
I will start with one of the most (counterintuitive) words used on the street. Fefe had suggested it, and here it is.

“Sick” really means “great”
Yes that’s true, “sick” is good, according to street lingo. Someone could comment on your car by saying “yo, that’s a sick ride” the person doesn’t mean your car needs repairs, rather he means it’s awesome.

Others might comment on your blog saying “this post is sick,” please take that as a compliment.

When in doubt, ask it out. Someone said to me once “Omar, you look sick today” so I inquired what kind of sick they meant. It turned out I was “cough, cough” sick and not “cool” sick.

Other variations of “sick” can include:

“dude, spread the sickness” really means “man, that’s cool, way to go, keep it up”

“that’s ill, guy” ok I believe a rapper came up with this one, as you can see he used a thesaurus and found “ill” to mean “sick.” “Ill” is still in its infancy, I believe it will take off within a year or so.

I would like to follow the footsteps of the rapper and declare “infected” as the new “cool.” Please spread the word, for instance say:

“this course is infected guy” when you’re trying to compliment a professor.

“man, that’s so infected it needs penicillin” use this when encountering something that’s just off the charts.


Ways to say I need to go to the bathroom:

If you are walking downtown New York or Toronto, and you need to go to the bathroom, asking people where “you can go pee pee” will not result in any positive reactions. In fact it might result in getting beat up.

Here are cool and interesting ways to say “I need to take a s**t”
Before I continue it’s important to learn that in the world of toilets “number 1” corresponds to urinating, and “number 2” corresponds to ...

“man, I gotta take a dump” I like the imagery used in this one :)

“woah, I need to drop a load” this ones seems to have been made it up by construction workers, the use of words drop and load, gives it away

And my personal favourite

“I gotta drop a deuce” notice the clever use of “deuce”

Related words:

“I’m gonna go sit on the can, for a good hour” the magic word here is “can”
which refers to “toilet.”

“man, who ripped one?” the key word here is ripped, taken from the verb “to rip” which really means “to fart”

Well, the post is getting long, but no worries my students a third lesson will be on the way very soon. Sorry for the imagery, but I need to teach the basics before moving on to more complex vocabs ;-}


Technorati Tags: , , ,

17 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home