Saturday, July 09, 2005

Violence can only lead to violence



I was on my way to work early in the morning when CBC radio reported the London bombings. At the time no one knew the magnitude of the blasts, how many were killed, or how bad the damage was. London police even reported that the explosions in the subway were due to some electrical problems. By the time I got to work everyone was talking about it, and during the whole day I was reading updates on several news websites.

I think what happened is truly sad and horrific. Any good reputation that Arabs have built over the past few years, is now gone. I think attacking civilians is very cowardly, and achieves no purpose. Attacking anyone in the name of a religion is even worse. It is my view, as well as every Arab that I have talked to since the bombing that the attacks were bad, and inhumane. What’s sad to think about is that there nothing we can do to stop attacks like these. The stubbornness of both sides, the extremists and the western “coalition”, will only escalate the feud, fueling more hatred in both sides’ hearts.

There’s no doubt that the Americans and Israeli’s are committing atrocities against civilians in the Middle East, but this can only be cured with politics. Violence can only lead to violence, let’s be the smart ones here and put an end to this.

Technorati Tags: , ,

20 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home