Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Blogger Tips, and Blegs

This post made me feel like this when I read it

Since I have more time on my hands thanI usually do, I have been spending more and more time tinkering with my blog. I learned a few things in the process, and I thought I would share some of these things, and at the same time pose some questions to you about some missing Blogger features.

The most important thing that I learned was how to backup my blog. Being a pretty sentimental person, I like to keep everything from the past, such as previous posts. It turns out there are several ways to back up a blog, but my favourite tool was a program called “HTTrack Website Copier.” All you do is enter your URL and a few other things, and then just press a button and the program works away. The program saves the blog (links, pics and all), and enables you to surf the blog in full, offline. The program is awesome, and it can be used on all kinds of websites you wish to have for offline use. You can download the tool here http://www.httrack.com/

The other thing that I learned, is a little tool that lets readers of a blog subscribe to your it with their e-mail address. The automatic service sends the latest post by e-mail to the subscribers, which could be more convenient for some readers. The service is offered by Feedblitz @ http://www.feedblitz.com/

There were two things that I didn’t manage to find online, or just didn’t find a decent solution for.

The first is a way to categorize posts, much like users of Wordpress do. There are sneaky ways, but they require the blogger to keep updating pages and so forth. I’m looking for a straight forward method with little maintenance.

The second thing is a way to utilize Expandable Post Summaries, without using the code that Blogger.com provides. I will post why the code supplied by Blogger is dumb, in a future post.

I hope you found the tips useful, and if you have good solutions for the two problems above, please help.

P.S

A Bleg is a colloquial term for a blog entry consisting of a request to the readers, such as for information or contributions. The name is derived from the words "" and "Beg". Via SSC

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home