Sunday, April 03, 2005

TLC.. what happend?


Whatever happened to good quality documentaries on TLC? TLC stood for The Learning Channel, but anymore it seems. I remember a few years ago, where TLC carried all kinds of documentaries ranging from engineering feats to history. Teachers at my high school taped many of those documentaries and used them in class, which shows how informative they were.. But not anymore!
It all started with trading spaces, a show where two families trade houses for two days where they decorate one room in the house for each other. Now, there’s every single variation of those “decoration shows” imaginable. Let me list a few, While You Were Out, Town Overhaul, Trading Spaces Family, In a Fix, Clean Sweep…. And the list goes on. All of the mentioned shows revolve around re-decorating a space in someone’s house. I’m not sure about this, but I think TLC now stands for The Living Channel. I guess all those TV stations nowadays are capitalizing on those great “reality shows.”
To make matters worse, Discovery Channel is getting more and more involved in those amazing and informative reality shows. Except that Discovery is doing more of the motor cycle/car building shows. I’ll admit, at first, watching a motor cycle being built from scratch was fun, but after watching a million episodes, and a million different shows about the exact same topic, things got boring quickly. Let me summarize what the those shows are about, the shows usually involve some sort of new project, usually a cool bike/car, and a deadline that is just too short to be true, yet, like usual, the team pulls it off in the last minute. What’s worse, those shows try to get the viewer emotionally involved in the feuds between the team members, such as in the case of Paul Jr and Paul Sr in Orange County Choppers. I know some of you are going to say, but those designer shows are fun, or I love watching cars being built. I say to you I agree with you, but enough is enough, and please not on my favourite channels.

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home