Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Wise Quote.. Or Is It?


"I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises. "
- Neil Armstrong

This quote showed up on my personalized Google page, and I thought to my self "no wonder Americans are the fattest nation on earth!"

I also thought to my self "what kind of stupid quote is this?" Just because the dude was first to step on the moon, he's all wise now? Was he trying to be funny?

Anyway, I pulled some stats from the net regarding the obesity of Americans, check them out

Get this..
Sixty-eight percent of all Americans are overweight, and the percentage of adults who are obese has been rising for a decade.

The Obese even get tax breaks now!!
On April 2, 2002, the IRS announced a new policy (IRS Ruling 202-19) stating that "Obesity is medically accepted to be a disease in its own right." For taxpayers, this means that treatment specifically for obesity can now be claimed as a medical deduction
so let me get this straight, there's an actual benefit to becoming obese?

And, some more for ya..

  • 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese
  • Eight out of 10 over 25's Overweight
  • 78% of American's not meeting basic activity level recommendations
  • 25% completely Sedentary
  • 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,



1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home