Tuesday, March 07, 2006

On reading multiple books, and visiting the doctor

About a week or two ago I got a book which I’ve been waiting to read for a long time, 1984. When I got the book, I was still in the process of finishing off ‘Tis, so I couldn’t start reading it right away.

So on Friday I started 1984, and my initial reaction was “wow, this books is sweet!” But before I got too far in the book, my “bestest” friend got me The Davinci Code. Me being me, I couldn’t help it but read the first few pages of Davinci, and that was all it took to draw me in. Plus while watching the Oscars, there was a commercial for the Davinci Code movie coming out in May, giving me more reason to the read the book first. I have tried reading two books at once before, but things got a bit confusing, so I wont try that this time.

So it looks like a reading filled time for me.

On another note, today I visited the family doctor to get his opinion on my injured shins. So while waiting for my name to be called I picked up Time magazine and began looking through it, pausing after reading an article on poverty to think “what a great country I live in!” For instance to see the doctor today all I needed was a little plastic card with my name on it. I didn’t pay a single penny to get his consultation.

Anyway, while waiting for my medicine the guy next to me was coughing loudly and that got on my nerves. His coughing isn’t what got on my nerves but rather, what he was using to cover his mouth (the odd time that he actually covered his mouth). He was using the same magazine I was reading earlier. I couldn’t help but visualize what will happen next. More patients will come in, they will pick up the magazine and they’ll leave the doctor’s office with yet another sickness. Sheesh!

5 Comments:

  • At 3/08/2006 2:48 AM, Blogger Lina said…

    I'm reading two books at the same time too, with around 5 others waiting on my desk! I don't know if it's a good habit to read more than one book at once though... I like being totally immersed in what I'm reading until it's done.

    As for the doctor incident, NO COMMENT!!!

     
  • At 3/08/2006 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DaVinci code is AMAZING.....i oved it! i like 1984 too....but Animal Farm was better ;)

    hope you're feeling better inshallah!

     
  • At 3/08/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger x said…

    I agree Lina, mixing books is especially bad if the books are totally different from each other.

    Jinan, animal farm is on the list as well ;) everytime I go to buy it, the bookstore would be out of all the copies.

    Ohoud, you're gifted. That would confuse me beyond compare. You seem to be a fast reader. Even if I stayed up 24 hours I don't think I can finish DaVinci. Reading the book so far is making me itch to visit the louvre.

     
  • At 3/10/2006 6:02 AM, Blogger M!R@CHK@ said…

    I would like to read the da vinci code soon .
    Well about the doctor i am sure it might be the las time you pick up a magazine out there :P

     
  • At 3/11/2006 2:07 AM, Blogger Betqa said…

    The DaVinci Code is definitely an enjoyable read.
    And if you like 1984, I recommend another book by Russian author Yevgeni Zamyatin called "We" (MI). It was written before 1984 was and in my opinion, is even better.
    As for the person from the doctor's office, I would have gone up to him and kicked his ass...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home