Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Quick Update and Commerical Bashing


Oh boy, so we’ll start with some breaking news, and then move on to commercial criticism…

First of all, I’m going to have less time to blog since I have decided to enter a design competition. I contacted some of the people I know/worked with at my previous coop job and so far we have a team of 4. The project involves the design of a sustainable/energy efficient community in a city in British Columbia. The main objective behind the design is to make the buildings, houses, schools in the area as energy efficient and environmentally friendly as possible, by using new technologies and innovative ideas. I didn’t know about the competition until a week ago, so we’re already 2 months behind, and we have 3 months to complete the design. So I will be concentrating my efforts during my free time on this project. The project is definitely a challenge since it’s geared towards civil engineers, and architects rather than mechanical engineers, so my main focus on this project will be to come up with some crazy ideas to save energy, and use renewable resources. BTW if you’re an architecture student and want to join comment or drop an e-mail..

Second, time is running out on getting an answer back whether I can leave work 2 weeks early or not. I wanted to take the last 2 weeks off, and combine that period with the week off I normally get between school and work and go to on a trip to Syria. So far the chances are looking slim. So if the trip doesn’t work out for the spring, then the end of the summer is the next best opportunity.

Third, I just watched this cheesy A&W (fast food place) commercial. How far are these guys pushing the importance of A&W in family traditions?? Before I describe the commercial, I’ll fill you in on some details. A&W offers a “line” of burgers named after family members, so you have the Papa burger, the Momma burger, Teen Burger, Grandpa… you get the point. So here’s the commercial in simple and straight to the point language:

Son and wife visit Son’s parents. Son, his Wife, mother and father in law decide to go out to eat. They go to A&W. Son explains that it’s a family tradition. The father in law makes the order “A papa burger, a momma burger, and two teens.” Son lingers behind to wait for the burgers while parents and wife sit. Son gets food tray. Father in law starts unwrapping the burger, only to notice that it’s a GRANDPA burger. They all start hugging in the middle of the restaurant.

Ok, so this is where the viewer has to use some brain power, and put two and two together. Get it? The son and his wife are having a baby, hence the Grandpa burger. Awww isn’t that the best way to tell your dad he will be a grandfather. Screw Hallmark! From now on it’s “A&W burger wrappers says it best.”

Ironically enough there’s one major similarity between the commercial and the grandpa burger they’re both filled with Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

That being said, I like their root beer.

9 Comments:

  • At 3/02/2006 2:29 AM, Blogger Bubidu said…

    extremely cheezy to the point where it's dripping (GROSS)...LOL

    Seriously, I think Americans and Albertans would difinitely enjoy this commercial. (I HATE STEPHEN HARPER)

    GOOD LUCK OMAR ON THE COMPETITION.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 3:09 AM, Blogger Edward Ott said…

    nice bolg you write very well. i look forward to reading more of your stuff in the future.

    Salam

     
  • At 3/02/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Tololy said…

    I join my voice to Ahmad's, I think you will have your hands quite busy in the coming period. Good luck with the project.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Omar!!! :)

    Congrats on that project...I know you'll do very well inshallah. As for that commercial...yea....super-cheesy bro. I don't think I'll be eating there ever...not that we have any A&W restaurants here anyways. Hope to stay in touch through your busy time!

     
  • At 3/02/2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who's holding the design competition? I'm glad environmental issues are being integerated into other fields < two thumbs up >.

    I have a confession. I worked at A&W. For like a day. Fast food is disgusting. There's a mozza burger too....

     
  • At 3/02/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Bubidu said…

    yeah the mozza burger.. hehe

     
  • At 3/02/2006 11:16 PM, Blogger x said…

    Don't get me started on Harper Ahmad..

    Edwards, thanks and welcome

    Toloy thanks for the wished :)

    Jinan, will stay in touch for sure, thanks for the encouragement

    Queenie, it's the US Green Board or something, I can give you the link if you wish.. And this sort of thing has been going on for two years so far, so things are looking better. Queenie, I worked at McD's, for over a year... keep posted, I'm planning on writing a job story sometime in the near future. This particular story will involve puke :)

    what's mozza? Italian for step-mom?

     
  • At 3/04/2006 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think mozza is short for mozzarella :p....but it can also mean "chick" or "babe" in egyptian slang ;)

     
  • At 3/04/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Bassam said…

    Good luck!! Hope you can come and visit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home