Monday, September 18, 2006

Back after a wonderful trip

I have been back for over a week now. I haven’t posted for two main reasons, first is the lack of time, since I had to start work pretty much right after my arrival. The second and more predominant reason is because I didn’t know how to restart blogging again after such and eye-opening, fun, and unforgettable trip. I don’t think one post can do the trip justice, so I will not try to summarize what I did, where I went and what I saw. I’ll let these sort of details flow out naturally as time goes by.

In the five year absence I can’t say that much have changed on a grand scale. One of the first things that I noticed was how much busier Damascus has become (maybe I forgot how busy it was in the first place). There’s a huge Iraqi presence, which seemed to generally hurt the lower class in Syria. I was told that many of the Iraqis that fled to Syria were generally well-off. These people were willing to pay extremely high rents for the worst places, consequently driving rents, and real-state prices through the roof. This showed me how a war could have such huge consequence on neighboring countries, consequence that are generally unaccounted for, and are ignored by the media for the most part.

I think I was most struck by the way people drive in Damascus. Traffic rules have no meaning; it’s every man for himself or as my uncle says:

بالشّام السواقة بتتبع نظام الاولوية للاجحش

In one taxi ride, the driver told me about his friend from Canada who came to Syria, rented a car, and returned it within an hour, all because she couldn’t drive in Damascus. He continued to tell me that “we drivers understand each other, for example this guy [pointing at a car ahead of us] knows I’m behind him, and will not swerve as I pass him.” After that conversation I became aware of the hidden traffic rules that all drivers know but never share, rules that were never published but are acquired after driving for a few years. For instance, and for those in Syria correct me if I’m wrong, using the left signal while on the outmost left lane means that “I need to be in this lane and I’m not willing to change my lane so you could pass me.” In another instance the driver almost missed an intersection, so we had to go from the outmost left lane all the way to the right lane. As soon as the driver started his dangerous maneuver, I noticed that my cousin casually stuck his hand out of the window to assist in the signaling process. I then realized that as a taxi rider, you are also part of the driving experience, you help out whenever you could. I could go on for an hour with taxi stories, so I’ll stop now.

I must have visited Old Damascus a million times and I don’t think I quenched my thirst for that wonderful place. For those who haven’t been, I cannot stress enough how amazing of an experience it is to walk through the narrow alleys, shop in the thousand year old markets, and come face to face with the wonderful damascene culture. I will be uploading pictures to my flickr slowly over the weeks to come, I suggest you take a look. I will also upload some videos to YouTube once I learn how to do that, and find time to do so.

For now I want to thank you for coming back to my little corner, and thank you for all the wonderful comments and wishes you left me when I was away. I’m happy to be back.

11 Comments:

  • At 9/18/2006 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar, I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and that you got back safely.
    Please post more about the trip, i've never been to Syria, and am interested in what it's like to be there.

     
  • At 9/19/2006 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back :D
    I looked through some of your pics, Damascus is gorgeous. Maybe you share this view? But I feel like the most beautiful areas are the old dingy, dirty and impoverished alleys. Every wall, every corner, every doorway has a story, whether happy or sad, there's a certain humbleness to them.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 2:36 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    Welcome back Omar!
    You made one little mistake...
    You didn't call :(
    Ah, I understand how it is returning after 5 years of absence. The whole experience is hectic and crazy. And now that you are back in Canada, the whole month you've spent over here seems to have passed in the blink of an eye.
    I look forward reading your posts again.
    Take care and have fun.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 6:29 AM, Blogger x said…

    thanks LH, I will be posting more pics soon :)

    I couldn't have said it better my self Queenie. I even took some pictures of doors over there. It felt amazing to know that I was walking through streets that have existed for over a thousand years.

    Abufares, you were one of the people that I was looking forward to meet. But I guess you know what it's like. Just last night I was thinking to myself how this whole trip seems like a dream now. I'll be back though, in a lot less than 5 years, and I'm sure we'll meet. Thanks for coming by.

     
  • At 9/21/2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Chet said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9/21/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Chet said…

    It is good to see you back. I hope you had a wonderful visit and I too am looking forward to seeing more pictures.

    Sorry about deleting the comment above, been having trouble and was testing to see if it finally worked, it did but I hit the wrong button.

     
  • At 9/25/2006 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome Back Omar.. we miss you so much ! waiting for the new posts enshalalh..
    take care
    Nadeen

     
  • At 9/25/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Lilly said…

    omar your uncle is right about the driving there i hate it alot i dont dare to drive even though all family there says they will lend me thier cars! no way its so crazy! i love Syria and people there they are so cheerful and fun to be with :)

     
  • At 9/25/2006 11:52 PM, Blogger x said…

    thanks Chet, no worries about the deleted comment

    thanks Nadeen, you words are very encouraging

    Lilly, the same thing happened to me. My uncle offered me to drive his car, and I refused. I don't think I can survive on Damascus' roads. And yes the Syrians have to be some of the nicest people out there.

     
  • At 10/02/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Khaled said…

    Hi, I was just checking your blog out and honestly I did not read your post, but the phrase 'بالشّام السواقة بتتبع نظام الاولوية للاجحش' just cracks me up! Because it's reeeeeally the truth! XD

     
  • At 10/03/2006 10:08 PM, Blogger Ihsan said…

    Welcome back Omar....hope you are feeling better than I am for returning here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home