Monday, July 24, 2006

Refugees helping refugees

My dad arrived in Damascus last night. I asked him about his first impression and any stories that he had heard in the few hours that he was there, regarding the Lebanese situation.

He told me that UNRWA schools have been opened to host Lebanese refugees, and that people are doing whatever they can to help out. A local butcher took it upon himself to feed the refugees residing in two of the mentioned schools. My aunt is seeking a family to host. Numerous people are giving money to those in need.

Palestinians living in refugee camps have not forgotten the hospitality of the Lebanese when they left Palestine in 1948, and they feel that this is their opportunity to give back what they once received.

I will be going to Syria in a few weeks, and I’m excited at having the opportunity to help out first hand. I will try to document the suffering of the refugees as best as I can, to show the world what I saw. Stay tuned.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , ,

Labels:

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home