Sunday, November 12, 2006

Saying farewell to the Dokaneh

You can see a dokaneh on the right of this picture. This is not the dokaneh talked about in this post

If you know anybody who grew up in Syria, then chances are they will have many stories to tell about the “dokaneh” they used to frequent as kids. Dokaneh is a term that describes a mini grocery shop selling common everyday supplies, and most importantly: chips and candy. In any typical street in Damascus your are bound to find at least one dokaneh, where the owner is sitting outside sipping tea and eating (fasfes) sunflower seeds.

As a kid I would visit the dokaneh nearest to my house on a daily basis. My mom typically gave me my daily allowance after school (which ended at 12:30 in the afternoon). I would then run, or later, bike to the dokaneh to spend my allowance on chips and candy. Upon arriving to the dokaneh I would quickly figure out the best combination of candy and chips that I can get for my money. Everyday would be a slightly different combination, all depending on what I felt like eating on that particular day.

In the summer time my cousins would arrive from the UAE and Saudi and we would make group trips to the dokaneh. Our most frequented dokaneh was Abu Ahmad’s, whose dokaneh, was, and still is, located at the end of our Hara (ally). Abu Ahmad’s brother, Abu Shawqi also had a dokaneh meters away from Abu Ahmad’s, but we never went to his dokaneh, although he sold my favourite pop brand “Jallab.” Abu Shawqi had messy hair, always wore a frown on his face, and had a grubby looking, unpainted dokaneh. Based on location, candy selection, and relative friendliness, my cousins and I decided to make Abu Ahmad’s our dokaneh of choice.

His dokaneh had a few tables at the front, where he displayed tens of items including hard candy and gum. In the back he had two fridges where he kept his commercial bought, and homemade popsicles. His homemade popsicles were made out of diluted plain yogurt, with a bit salt to give it the required punch. All in all, Abu Ahmad supplied us with the sugar and calcium needed for all the running, biking, and soccer games that characterized our summers.

This year when I visited Syria, I noticed that Abu Ahmad had renovated his dokaneh with large glass windows sealing the dokaneh from the street. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t actually go in the dokaneh, although looking back on it now, I think I should have went in and relived the dokaneh experience.

A few days ago my mom came to my room and told me “Abu Ahmad passed away.” After asking her whom she referred to, all she had to say was “sa7ib dokaneh” for me to know who it was. Farewell Abu Ahmad, you will be remembered.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 11/13/2006 1:41 AM, Blogger Yazan said…

    my granpa in his late years opened a "dekkane" or "dekkan"... it was such a joy for 6-year old me.. :)

    awsome post omar..

    rest in peace Abu Ahmed

     
  • At 11/13/2006 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great writing Omar
    As a kid, the Dokkaneh I frequented belonged to Abu Ali. We bought, among other stuff, the Fertesh for the Eid.
    Today, the Dokkaneh right across from the entrance to the building I live in has this traditional ambiance you and I so much love.
    One thing that came to my mind though after reading your post.
    Fawaz, the Dokkaneh owner, is younger than me...
    Does that mean anything, naaaaahhhhh.

     
  • At 11/14/2006 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Allah yir7amo...
    I miss dokanehs. I grew up in Kuwait, and they call them baqalas sometimes. I remember we had like 4 around our house and I loved going there in the summer because they were often air conditioned and were shelter from the stiffling humid weather. During Eid, after we got our 3eedia from family, my cousins and I would run to the nearest dokaneh and buy some firecrackers and candy :D
    Dokanehs should be introduced to Canada!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger x said…

    Yazan, I can only imagine what you felt like. I bet you, you got your hands on lots of complimentary candy and chips :)

    Abu fares, the ambiance is partly created by the smell of mixed spices, laban, jibne, and the milion other things in the dokaneh. Have you noticed the "dokaneh smell" before? Abu Ahmad was probably in his late 70's early 80's, so he was definitely and old man.

    queenie, they're also called baqalieh in Syria, but I only refered to them as doknaeh. You and Abu Fares have something common then, buying firecrackers for eid. It cracks me up how Arabs always celebrate by firing something.. lol
    That's a great idea, all we need is an investor

     
  • At 11/18/2006 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehe yeah, i know what ya talkin about i have the same memories as you :) but its Fousi Dokaneh in my story, i would spent the money grandparents give it to us there when we visit them in syria.

     
  • At 11/20/2006 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awww, Allah Yir7amo :(.

    my grandfather and my uncle both have dokanehs in Palestine...those are the ones of my choice when i go visit :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home