Monday, September 24, 2007

One Country

Last Friday the co-founder of Electronic Intifada, Ali Abunimah, paid a visit to Waterloo for a lecture, and a book signing. The event had been organized among several Palestinian student-based clubs across Quebec and Ontario. I had seen Ali Abunimah speak before, and I was anxious to hear him speak again. Ali discussed the current (and rapidly deteriorating) situation in the Gaza strip and West Bank. He then focused on his new book “One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse.”

Going into the lecture I didn’t believe that a one state solution would actually work. Israel hasn’t given the Palestinians their own state, what would drive them to abandon their Jewish state and share power with the Palestinians? Of course Ali had thought of that, and every other “obstacle” that people normally see when thinking of a one state solution.

In the question and answer period that followed Ali was asked very tough questions ranging from “how can you expect Israeli’s and Palestinians to live together in one country after the brutal history between them?” to “In a time when we’re speaking of Iraq splitting into 3 different sectarian states, how can we expect Palestinians and Israeli’s to agree to merge together into a single state?”

Ali had answered the questions above, and many others with very convincing logic. He drew parallels between South African, Ireland, and the Palestinian-Israel situation. He noted that the agreement reached between Protestants and Catholics in Ireland is akin to an agreement reached between Likud and Hamas. It’s hard to imagine but it has happened.

One question that Ali didn’t have an answer for was “what would be the name of single state?” He smiled saying that it was his favourite question.

After the lecture we went out for dinner, where I had the chance to ask Ali many questions mainly regarding Middle East politics and the upcoming US elections.

I’m currently reading “One Country” and I might publish a book summary when I’m done reading it. In the meanwhile I totally recommend you pick up a copy and give the one state idea a chance before disregarding it as impossible to achieve.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 9/25/2007 4:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am enjoying reading your blog, Omar. keep it up!
    Thanks for sharing this with us, i\'ll definitely try to get the book, perhaps in my next visit to Lebanon. I would very much like to know his approach to applying one state solution.
    waiting for your review of the book!

     
  • At 9/25/2007 11:08 AM, Blogger queenie said…

    I'm hoping I can go see him at Ryerson tomorrow. I heard he's a great speaker.
    I used to be a two-state proponent, but that changed pretty quickly when it hit me that it wouldn't allow for the Right of Return( among other major obstacles to establishing a sovereign Palestinian nation)of Palestinians who weren't originally from the West Bank or Gaza, like my family. Do publish a summary!

     
  • At 9/26/2007 12:22 AM, Blogger Ted said…

    I wonder if Israel would actually share power in Government with Non Jews. It has always seemed that Israel and the United States were afraid of a power sharing situation in that area.

    I will have to find a copy of the book and check it out. Thanks for sharing.

    www.pafundi.com
    ===================================
    Number of Operations Iraq Freedomand Enduring Freedom casualties as confirmed by U.S.Central Command: 4223

     
  • At 9/29/2007 6:30 AM, Blogger poshlemon said…

    Omar,

    true. To many of us, the 'one state' idea might seem very farfetched and impossible. I would love to read the book but I have to say that sometimes theories and ideologies look great in print but in practice they cannot happen. However, who knows. It would be interesting to see what solution he devises for the merger of the Palestinians with the Israelis especially when you have the zionists who would not be passionate at all about not having their Jewish state with Judaism as the official and ruling religion, etc... Importantly, could it be that easy after such a long pass of time to bring together two nations and two peoples under one nation and still both the Jews and Palestinians would feel a sense of nationality for this new nation? Nationalism: The Israelis are passionate about Israel, the Palestinians are passionate about Palestine. It's the same land but for each, it is a different world. I know that initially having stability and a house where the many Palestinian children can be safe once and for all is the most importanr, but later many implications would arise.

    Right now, I am throwing prejudgements all over the place. I need to check the book out. On this point, I have actually met many Palestian students and activists who seem to have been proponents of the 'one state' idea.

     
  • At 9/29/2007 8:09 AM, Blogger Asoom said…

    although I don't know what his stance is I've actually heard some pretty intelligent arguments for the one state solution. I have a friend that says a two state solution could actually make things worse for palestinians because at least in the public eye palestinians are seen as a group of countryless vulnerable people but if they had their own legal state then it would make more justification for israel's aggression. I'm not saying I agree with her but it was a logical argument.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home