Monday, August 24, 2009

Reminiscing Ramadan

So here I am jumping on the Ramadan post bandwagon, like any good blogger would do. In the few years I have been blogging I don’t think I ever posted something longer than a Happy Ramadan post. I think it’s because I’m never really that excited about the month, except for the odd Syrian drama that I look forward to.

My memories of Ramadan are from the time I lived back in Syria. Ramadan then came during the winter time, and this is the only way I can picture it. I remember going to school early in the morning with my friends, in the school yard we would all ask each other if we were fasting or not. The litmus test, if you will, to determine whether someone was lying is in the colour of their tongue. If it was white than you passed the test, otherwise you were taunted. Although there was always one annoying kid who related the white tongue to eating labneh (dried yogurt) in the morning.

At the time my grandparents lived one floor above us, and we would often join them along with my aunts and uncles to break the fast. We would have salads, soup, and all kind of delicacies just waiting to be devoured. The TV would be set to Syria Channel 1, and we would wait for the official call of prayer from the Omayad Mosque, and at that very moment you could hear the call of prayer from the myriad of mosques dotting Damascus. Usually my grandmother would be still busy in the kitchen even after the iftar, working on every last detail of the meal. On occasion, when I got back from school, I would be sent to the neighbourhood grocer, or produce shop to buy this or that. I would ride my bike, fully knowing that I’m going to have a few kilos hanging on each side of the handle bar. On the way I would see tens of other boys, and men running around from shop to another arranging those last minute details.

After Iftar the family would gather to watch a musalsal (Syrian drama), accompanied of course with a cup of hot tea, and any number of great deserts like knafeh, mshabbak, or bakalawa. The streets after Iftar are usually busy with people, some there simply to get out, others to shop for Eid. The atmosphere is more festive than I have ever experienced.

At night, about an hour before the break of dawn, I would get a call from my grandfather to go upstairs and join them for suhoor, the meal that’s supposed to give you that last push for the tough day ahead. On our street one man had stuck to old tradition and went through the alleys of the neighbourhood at night, repeating traditional phrases, while knocking on people’s doors, trying to wake them up for the all too important meal. Ramadan to me was the best time of the year, as I’m sure it is for most people in Syria.

Here in Canada the story is different as you can imagine. Celebrating Ramadan in Canada is like celebrating Christmas in Qatar. You might find people who follow traditions, people who are excited about the month, but the one thing you will never find is the atmosphere. I think this is why I love Christmas time so much. In a way it’s a replacement of the atmosphere I miss.

But I’m excited. Next year Ramadan will creep even closer into summer, and in a few years I will be able to experience the great atmosphere all over again during summer vacation. I will be experience Ramadan during the summer for the first time, and hopefully create great memories of a brand new Ramadan.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

  • At 8/24/2009 11:32 PM, Anonymous Isobel said…

    What wonderful memories, Omar! I know what you mean about the atmosphere...and family too...all that family!! Christmas is like that for me. I hope that this Ramadan becomes special to you in some way. Ramadan Karim. All the best to you and your family.

     
  • At 8/25/2009 12:22 AM, Blogger x said…

    Thank you Isobel. Knowing great people like you are just around the corner (in Canadian terms, at least) makes it all worth it.

     
  • At 8/25/2009 4:30 AM, Blogger KJ said…

    Omar, that's a fantastic story that definitely sent me as well down memory lane, back when I used to be in Syria for Ramadan.

    Ramadan is nothing without the family, and this year I am blessed to have mom around the first two weeks. I pray your next Ramadans be full of the atmosphere you miss in Canada

     
  • At 8/25/2009 6:46 AM, Blogger Mustaf said…

    Hi:-)

    Just dropped here while searching for Ramadan post on google. You have very neatly described your childhood memories:) It is difficult to celebrate such festivals away from your near and dear ones, in a place where there is little known people.

    I once celebrated Eid in USA when I went there for my work purpose & for me it was like "Alice in some damn land"!! Neither I did know any one there, nor the style of celebration was familiar to me. But anyway, everyone has their own way of celebration. Wish you Happy Ramadan & invite you to visit my post,too :-)

     
  • At 8/25/2009 6:48 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    @Omar
    How wonderful to read about the Ramadan of my childhood through your words.
    Strange as it may seem I have no memories of Ramadan in the summer at all. In the late 7o's and the 80's when Ramadan was a summer affair I was away in the States. Now I'm learning about it the hard way :-)
    Yet, in the back of my mind, I will always be that kid on a bicycle getting the last necessary ingredient for something mom was cooking. We would finish Iftar then sit by the Sobia (wood stove), drink tea, munch the hazelnuts, watch Sah El Nom on TV and listen to the rain beating against the windows.

     
  • At 8/25/2009 7:43 AM, Blogger Karin said…

    What a wonderful post Omar ... what wonderful memories! I can so well relate to your feelings, better than you can imagine. I remember Christmas as child - it was full of atmosphere of smells, excitements, anticipation - simply unforgettable. And I do recall the incredible feeling I had when I was with my friends in Amman some six years ago during Ramandan for a few days ... I absolutely adored it and would give everything to be able to be with them again!

    Times changed ... Ramadan as well as Christmas is wonderful if there's a family. Without - it's sad.

    RAMADAN KAREEM dear friend!

     
  • At 8/25/2009 9:01 AM, Blogger Danah said…

    ramadan kareem omar. thanks for sharing this story. I never lived in the ME but had the opportunity to celebrate it back home on one occasion and it is indeed completely different than it is here. furthermore, this year marks my first ramadan completely alone. talk about lack of atmosphere!

     
  • At 8/25/2009 11:12 AM, Anonymous Rime said…

    Omar, this was one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever read about Ramadan. In a way, it was like watching one of our famous mousalsalat.

    I had the joy of experiencing Ramadan in Damascus a few times as an adult, and it made me realize just how lonely and nearly insignificant it is for us abroad. When we still lived at home, with our parents, iftar was a big deal of course, as it was for our Arab friends (but never suhoor). Now in London, I feel I am the only person in the world who even knows about Ramadan. I miss breaking the fast over the sound of adhan, the total silence in the streets, the conviviality of it all.

    Thanks for this wonderful post.

     
  • At 8/25/2009 2:33 PM, Blogger x said…

    @KJ, thanks for dropping by, and Ramadan kareem to you and your mother.

    @Mustaf, I'm glad your search brought you here. I guess you know exactly how I feel then. I will drop by your blog shortly :)

    @Abufares, allah ykon bi3onkon. It must be extremely tough fasting in the hot humid weather. I guess I will have to wait an experience Ramadan in the summer in Syria before judging which I like more. But I have a feeling that the sobya, and the "kankaneh" beside it is one of the reasons I remember those nights so vividly.

    @Karin, thanks for dropping by and giving us a little taste of your Christmas. I guess ideally we would celebrate Christmas here and Ramadan in the Middle East ;)

    @D, you know you're only a short bus ride away. You are welcome to come any day for a nice iftar. Just pick the day.

    @Rime, thank you for the flattering comment. You have a thing for leaving eloquent comments. You know, I always pictures London to be a bit more festive than here. I heard there are quite a few Arabs there. So you can just imagine the lacking atmosphere here. For now at least we have the now official Syria Drama channel to give us a taste of home :)

     
  • At 8/25/2009 7:46 PM, Blogger Gabriela said…

    Living in Peru, I have never experienced Ramadan nor met anyone who has. But since I volunteer as translator in Global Voices Online, I'm learning a lot about this so important holiday. And I'm loving what I'm reading.
    I loved this post, Omar, so full of nostalgia. I could even feel it, even though I have never experienced Ramadan.
    Ramadan kareem to you, your loved ones and your readers.
    Saludos desde Lima.

     
  • At 8/25/2009 9:56 PM, Blogger Danah said…

    haha, if you're really extending the hand i will gladly make the trek!

     
  • At 8/25/2009 10:38 PM, Blogger x said…

    Hola mi amigo de Lima, first of all thanks for the wishes and the visit. As I mentioned before Ramadan can only be truly experiences in the ME (maybe I'm a little biased) I'm really glad you found the post enjoyable, and for knowing that it painted at least a vague picture of the festivities.

    D, how is Friday for you?

     
  • At 9/13/2009 10:56 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    I guess we all have great Ramadan memories...i always thought that it was not that great because we are in canada...but the year i spent Ramadan in jordan i realized that the momeries were great because i was with my family..not because i lived in a muslim country..and now i appreciate ramadan in canada because on the weekends i spend it at my parents house with my sister and her family, my brother and his family and mama and baba...in jordan it was nice having iftar with my SIL but it was not the same as being with my family......i always wished i can spend a ramadan in an arabic country..but i was such a fa'si...i just hope that we can make some nice ramadan memories for my kids...even if we are in canada....it all about being with your family..not where u live...

     
  • At 12/18/2015 8:05 PM, Blogger 柯云 said…

Post a Comment

<< Home