Sunday, August 09, 2009

Summer finally started!


I woke up this morning to the sound of thunder in the sky. I am not the type who is scared by thunder, but today was a little different. I was certain the lightning bolts were arcing within a kilometre radius from my house. The sound was louder than I have ever heard. I got up, went through my morning routine and went back to video tape mother nature’s fine work. By then it had calmed down a bit, but as you can see it was still raining heavily.

Within an hour of what you saw above, the weather took a 180 degree turn as it often does. Summer has been greatly missed this year. The temperature barely made it above 25, and we were bombarded with rain weekly. As far as I‘m concerned today was the first day of summer, despite the little misbehaviour this morning. After it rained humidity soared to a 100%, the sun shined, and all the neighbours commenced working on their weekend projects. Having no weekend project to work on, the only logical alternative was a barbeque outside. Upon announcing the plan my mother worked quickly in preparing many delights including chicken breasts marinated with her secret marinate (let me know you if you’re interested), grilled vegetables dipped in an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil and garlic concoction, and Marina. Marina uses the same beef/onion/parsely/spices mixture used in Kebab but instead of cooking on a skewer it’s cooked inside a pita. And what better way to cool you down in this hot, humid weather than a cool Hoegaren.

While barbequing all of you guys really came to mind. How I wished we could all share the first day of summer together with good food, good drinks, and great weather. The best I could do is share a few visuals.

A better look at our attempt at making Marina

It was so humid the camera lense fogged up as soon as I stepped out

A healthy flame cooking the chicken

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

  • At 8/10/2009 2:58 AM, Blogger Roba said…

    Haha, summer is almost done :P

     
  • At 8/10/2009 5:03 AM, Blogger KJ said…

    *drools*

    I wish it rains in summer here lol. It's almost 50C today!

     
  • At 8/10/2009 8:48 AM, Anonymous Isobel said…

    Omar!!! YESSSSSSSSS!!! I said the exact same thing yesterday...summer has finally arrived. It was hot and humid here in Thunder Bay (yes, really, this far north) and sunny skies all day. I reveled in it! We didn't BBQ but we did eat outside under a beautiful canopy of grape vine. :) You're BBQ looks absolutely scrumptious!! I hope it tasted as good as it looks...I'll bet even better! :)

     
  • At 8/10/2009 4:10 PM, Blogger Gabriela said…

    Thank you very much for having all of us in mind!
    Here we are in the middle of our winter, but yesterday we had a wonderful sunny day. It looks as if the sun gave us a beautiful present... even though I am a winter-lover!
    Have a great week.

     
  • At 8/10/2009 8:15 PM, Blogger x said…

    Roba! how nice to see you here again. You took me back for the MFLS days ;)

    KJ, ahla wasahla awwalan. If it was up to me man, I would send some rain your way.

    Isobel, we can finally take a humid sigh of relief eh. You are welcome to come by for an even better BBQ next time you're in the area.

    Gabriela, It's really hard for me to imagine having winter in August, especially when considering Christmas falls in the middle of summer :) If you are a winter love than you would love to visit Canada anytime between November and February, I'm sure it'll satisfy your winter needs for years to come ;)

     
  • At 8/12/2009 8:01 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    what r u talking about? it has been agreat summer..a good mix of rain, and nice days...we got to do lots so far...and i have green happy grass that i have not had to water once...what more can one ask for? but that storm that came this past weekend was horrible...the worst thunder i have experienced in my few yrs of living...

     
  • At 8/12/2009 8:40 PM, Blogger KittySigurdardottir. said…

    Looking good there,Omar!The BarBQ that is.How about you?

     
  • At 8/12/2009 10:23 PM, Blogger GPV said…

    Hi Omar,
    Your BBQ looks brand new,summer is really hot and comes early in southern France and I've been cooking chicken,mutton shops and all kinds of steaks since May,I suppose you use thym and rosemary on meat as I do and fenel on fish,
    fresh mint stuffed in their belly.
    My garden is full of tomatoes, I have to give some of it to the neighbors.
    Glad to see you're still blogging
    strong,I whish you a fine and happy summer and lots of goodies to go with it.
    Cheers to you and family.

     
  • At 8/13/2009 12:10 AM, Blogger x said…

    Sam! how is it going? Haven't heard from you in a while. I bet the baby is keeping you busy. As for summer, I only count it as summer if it's really hot during the days, and beautiful at nights. None of this wear your jacket at night nonsense. This weekend looks awesome!

    Purekrystal, welcome to the blog. Nothing looks better than fresh vegetables on BBQ. If I could I would send you a freshly made skewer right now.

    GPV, thank you for coming back. Your description of your garden and BBQ made me drool Oh how I wish I was in southern France right now. You live in one the most gorgeous palces my friend. Although, with my luck, last year I was in Nice when it was raining... in the summer. Even the hotel owner was surprised by the weather.

     
  • At 8/13/2009 2:13 PM, Blogger queenie said…

    What you call Marina, we call
    3arayis...umm, no idea why.

    I agree, it's been a non-summer. We went up to cottage country for a week and the avg temperature was like 23, with frequent showers. WTH, climate change?!

     
  • At 8/13/2009 11:53 PM, Blogger x said…

    queenie, nice to hear from you again. I'm still waiting for a new post from you.

    As for 3arayis, the name is familiar to me. Although when I was little my mom used the word 3aroos for a sandwich (labneh, za3tar, magdoos etc). We're so obsessed with marriage aren't we?

     
  • At 8/14/2009 7:58 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    I am a little late Omar, sorry. You wouldn't be missing summer if you were here. Ohhh how much we need the rain and the temperature not to go above 25C.
    That aside, ummm ummm everything looks delicious. I could almost smell the veggies and the chicken.
    Thank you for the invitation. I might do it someday you know, drop out of nowhere and give you a call :-)

     
  • At 8/15/2009 1:44 AM, Blogger x said…

    Abufares, your presence here is enough. You are always welcome ya Abufares, I'm sure you know that. In fact I might have a few surprises up my sleeve if you decide to visit. I'll give you one hint, they're delicious ;)

     
  • At 8/15/2009 12:17 PM, Blogger GPV said…

    I whish you a shinny sun if you come to France again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home