Saturday, May 14, 2005


I listen to z103.5 everyday, they have an amazing morning show, and they play very good music. Every hour they have a two minute news update, which in my opinion should be canceled, unless they start doing a better job at it. After all if someone wants to hear the news there are plenty of all-news stations.
Today, the radio announcer had the following to say during the news update "Ontario drivers may disagree, but a new study shows that there are less trucks on the road today compared with last year.” He then continued with the facts “last year there were 27 cars for every truck, now there are 25 cars per truck.” I paused for a second, since the sentence did not make sense to me, and maybe I’m wrong, but these numbers tell me the exact opposite. The announcer made a huge mistake in analyzing the data.
One needs grade 4 math to realize that 27:1 means that there are 27 times the amount of cars as there are trucks (last year) and now there are 25 cars for every truck. So the ratio of cars to trucks decreased, and hence the ratio of trucks to cars has increased. Therefore, Ontario drivers should disagree; there are more trucks on the road. Just thought I’d share that with you.

By the way, you can listen to the station online at
www.z1035.com
Picture above: the morning show crew with Avril Lavene

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home