Sunday, May 22, 2005

Street Lingo 101



Lingo Lesson 1

Well I gave an accent lesson earlier on my blog, and I thought it’s about time for a lingo lesson. This is my attempt at teaching the masses (all 30 regular visitors) the meaning of common street language that is used in everyday life around here. I use the language my self, although not all the examples I will mention.

1. Phrases including “shit”:
“Man, this is the shit!” this really means “this is marvelous”

“I’m not shitting you” really means “I’m telling you the whole truth and nothing but the truth”

“Don’t talk shit” really means “Do not talk about me behind my back”

“You’re full of shit” really means “all you say are lies”

“that’s some sweet shit” means “that’s cool”

“shizzel” means shit but in Snoop Dogg’s language.

Please note that shit can be used in many other contexts, especially if it preceeds the word up. For example “do that shit up”, “let’s hook the shit up” etc..

2. Commonly used:
“guy, that’s pure jokes” means “that’s really funny”
“yo, that’s mad funny” means “that’s really funny”
“man, that’s mad jokes, guy” means “that’s really funny”

Please notice the plural of joke, it’s essential to say jokes and not joke, even if you only say one joke.

“let’s hit it up” means “let’s go to the place you have just mentioned”

“that’s some crazy action” I made this one up my self and it means “that’s some sweet shit…action” as you can see I began to use a combination of street lingo. Please feel free to circulate “crazy action,” you never know, someday a rapper will think it’s cool and the phrase will take off.

“Sweet” means “cool” I’ve been using sweet for 9 years now, and it never got sour (what a bad joke)

“that’s gold man….gold” means “that’s cool/amazing/brilliant” there are a few notes about this one.

a) you must use gold twice with a short pause in between each gold
b) use this when solving a tough equation, seeing a nice car, or supporting someone’s idea

3. Money
Money on the street has many different names, when confronted with cool guys, high school kids, or a rapper please remember the following:

“I got the dough” means “I got money”

“spend that cheese guy” means “spend the money”

Furthermore, a rapper went as far as identifying what cheese money really is, I believe it was Don Carlito who said so poetically

“Common ma help me spend this cheddah”
Which means:
“Common babe help me spend this cheddar”
Which really means:
“I’m so rich, just spend my money”

As you have noticed it’s quite a mental exercise to go through understanding a rap song.

This post is getting long and I don’t want to lose the attention of my students, I shall have more for you in the near future.

I hope you thought this post was the shit, if you have any cheddar donations please send that shit up to my bank account. Peace.

18 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home