Sunday, August 21, 2005

Gmail, the conspiracy theory

I was telling my friend today to send me pictures to "my gmail," suddenly the poetry gland in my head (consists of 5 confused neurons) started firing and told me "that rhymes with e-mail."

And then the conspiracy theory all became clear to me..

When Google chose the name of their e-mail service they purposely avoided using "Google Mail" or the extension @google.com. Instead they had to go with "gmail" which sounds like, yeah you know it, "e-mail"

So what Google wants to do is to change the internet lingo and base it around them. So people will start referring to e-mail as gmail. For example we will start saying "please gmail me?" or "don't gmail anyone at work."

I think I'm on to something here... or maybe the lack of sleep has effected me.

Technorati Tags: ,

16 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home