Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Cost of a Canadian Education Just Got Higher

Today the tuition freeze set by the Liberal party 2 years ago was lifted by the ministry of Ontario's colleges and universities. Beginning next fall tuitions across Ontario will see an average rise of 5% for science and arts programs, and 8% for professional programs. Engineering, medicine, law and accounting are all classified under “professional programs.”

Allow me to give you an inside look into the amount of money spent by and engineering undergrad. When I entered university the tuition was roughly $4200 per term, which means you had to pay $8400 per school year, not including books, food, residence, parking etc. If you do the math you will find out that I will be paying roughly $10,000 for my last year with the new increase. And I’m actually quite lucky. Why you ask? Well I don’t have to live on residence and my program has an incorporated cooperative education program, which lets us work between school terms. But what about the other students? How will they be able to afford an education this expensive? I personally haven’t seen a 5% wage increase for working students over the years, and figures published yearly by the university support my observations. Furthermore, coop students are pretty much denied any OSAP funding (an interest free loan while you study) since they are seen as being well off by the university. So combining an 8% increase in tuition payment, with a constant income, and minus any financial assistance, shows how screwed some of us will be in the upcoming years.

The province calls this new move the “reaching higher” plan. In response to that Jesse Greener, Ontario Federation of Students Spokesman said " [this plan is] reaching for higher tuition fees, reaching for higher debt," in a press conference today. In 2004 the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance published a report saying “the average student debt from government loans among graduates was $21,700 in Ontario, well above the national average of $18,900. This represents a doubling of debt over the past decade. At the same time, public support to manage debt has been reduced. Over the past nine years, the average amount of a provincial grant has declined 62.9%” That was of course during the tuition freeze, things are only going to get worse.

Here are where things don’t make sense to me the most. The Ontario government has been whining and complaining about the 50% dropout rate of high school students. How does a tuition increase encourage high school students to pursue higher education? On another note, according to Stats Canada, 2005 saw “Canada's federal, provincial, territorial, and local governments (as well as the two major pension plans) record a combined surplus of $12.1 billion.” Where’s the funding into Canada’s future? It’s a cliché phrase but investing into universities is an investment into Canada’s future.

The government isn’t the only one to blame. I blame university students for not putting their right to vote to good use. The day of the election I went to a public lecture at Waterloo where the speaker asked the audience (composed of university students) “so who voted today?” I only saw a few hands go up. We’re throwing away our political power by our lack of interest and knowledge. I hope this is a wake up call for all those who didn’t vote.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,


8 Comments:

  • At 3/09/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger hamwy said…

    hello my friend omar this is me hamwy

     
  • At 3/09/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger Omar said…

    Ha.. pack your bags and move to Quebec.... atleast housing is cheaper.. and they have stronger beer (isn't that what student life's all about?)

    I pay the non-Quebec'ers fee here too (did I say that I originally Landed in Toronto - Ontario? biggest mistake of my life).. but it is still managable compared to other places (i.e tuition freez is still in effect here, even for non-Quebec students).. and even oif you're doing Coop (which was my case) you're not denied OSAP.. unless you live with your family of course..

    I hope those who voted conservatives are happy now...

     
  • At 3/09/2006 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow....and i thought our tuition was bad....but actually, its about the same i guess if u convert it to canadian dollars...we now pay around $3300 a semester, not including books, room, and board. school is so expensive, and they keep raising tuition! this fall its going up another 9.9%....damn university! and they say they are "student-centered"....yea, we'll see if they have any student left in a few years!

     
  • At 3/10/2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think students should form a union and negotiate with the university for better learning conditions and lower tuitions and then if universities still won't stop scamming us, we should go on strike :D

    as students, we should reclaim the educational system as ours just as how it was in roman times..we should be learning on our OWN terms...really, we're doing a service to all those profs and university administrations by providing them with jobs and an income!

     
  • At 3/11/2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said…

    Tayyeb how much are the fees on average a year? Thank God sweden still has free education.

     
  • At 3/12/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger x said…

    Hi Hamwy thanks for the visit.

    Omar, if I decide to pursue a masters degree Montreal would be one of the places I would wanna go to. I hear ya about the concervatives... just give them another year and they'll be out of office.

    Jinan, 9.9% is nuts!! I guess Bush isn't funding education all that much is he? Politicians are full of shit, most of them don't even have a proper education, and the rest

    Queenie, best idea I've heard in a long time. I didn't know about the Roman times, you should inform us some more ;)

    Shaykhespeara, FREE! that's gold, I'm moving to sweden ;) Roughly the fees are 13000 canadian dollars per year for an undergraduate arts student.

     
  • At 3/13/2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nope, Omar...Bush keeps cutting the funding down...believe me, when I was in Student Government, we met with politicians left and right, and lobbied and petitioned, but our board is so greedy, that they would rather build new facilities that are not needed than help us keep the university going. As of this semester, tuition is down for the 5th semester in a row....can't they take a hint? GRRRRR!

     
  • At 3/15/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger wegrit said…

    I hate that higher education is so costly. You're lucky though. At least the University system in Canada is relatively affordable. My undergraduate degree cost a total of about $120,000. I graduate from there in 2002 and it's probably up to a good $140,000 for a degree from there now.

    The American government keeps cutting funding too...this is why I strongly considered going home to do my Ph.D. Plus, Canadian politics don't make me quite as crazy as the Americans do!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home