Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Media's Biased Coverage of Gemayel's Assiassination

I can’t help but notice the sheer bias in CNN’s, as well as other news agencies’ reporting, on the recent assassination in Lebanon. First of all let me clarify that I’m not here to lay blame, or defend a certain party, country, or coalition for that matter. What I have noticed though, is the quick condemnation of the assassination, and the even quicker accusation of Syria’s involvement.

I was surprised to see headline titles on CNN saying “Anti-Syrian Lebanese minister assassinated.” The newscasters always mentioned “anti-Syrian” next to “assassination” in a clear attempt to get the viewers to connect the assassination to Syria. There are many ways the minister could be described other than “anti-Syrian” unless you purposely want that characteristic to stick in peoples minds. As a matter of fact, I learned that Gemayel was an anti-Syrian, before learning that he was the Industry Minister!

In an interview with Rime Allaf on the day of the assassination, CNN’s anchor was not satisfied with Rime’s comment that “it’s too early to start pointing fingers”. In her relentless attempt at condemning Syria, the anchor presented all kinds of arguments all of which lacking depth, and for that matter, fact. It’s as if the anchor was instructed to accuse Syria no matter how logical Rime’s counter argument was. Rime, by the way, is a harsh critic of the Syrian regime, and in my mind, will never go out of her to defend Syria if she didn’t truly believe that it was genuinely too early to tell who to blame. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for other critics of the Syrian regime.

The ignorant, plain biased coverage, reminded me of the days when CNN repeated the “facts” pointing to Iraq’s involvement in the 9/11 attacks, and the obvious, and quire eminent threat that Saddam’s “stockpiles of WMD’s” presented. Weapons that were ready to be used any minute against innocent American civilians. Of course, no weapons were ever found, and the only civilians dying are innocent Iraqis, as a direct consequence of an illegal American occupation.

I honestly feel as if the major networks don’t even care about their journalistic credibility anymore. Anchors ask carefully worded questions, such that their answers fit the pre-determined notion they initially wanted to hear. The way the recent assassination has been covered is a perfect proof of that.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 11/24/2006 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree 100% that the media is biased against Syria.
    I'm neither Syrian or Lebanese, and see the connection the media is trying the make, with out the facts.
    It's like with 9/11 and Iraq. Many Americans, when asked about why the U.S. invaded Iraq will answer because Saddam was responsible for 9/11---all because of the way the media words these events.

     
  • At 11/24/2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Yazan said…

    I havent had time to check CNN, but I guess it's obvious...

     
  • At 11/24/2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah! and talk about creating heroes, here, some Lebanese channels are creating the impression that the guy was a hero, and that his death is nothing but martyrdom, while totally forgetting that he's there in the government only because of the weigh his family represents among Christians, they actually started to talk about his history and his family's without the slightest mentioning of their bloody past! I talked about it here.

    As for Syria, I don't think they'll be better than Jonblat or al Hariri, they accused Syria probably before the assassination tool place!

     
  • At 11/24/2006 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Omar for these kind words about my performance. If you are referring to the one with Hala Gorani interviewing me, I remember trying to maintain my position but I kept feeling I was becoming repetitive and boring. :) I really appreciate knowing some of my compatriots liked it.

     
  • At 11/25/2006 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't been listening to the news much, but I can only imagine what type of propanganda is being spewed. My reaction to the headline was the same as yours, I think him being a Phalangist and a minister is a more important description of him than "anti-syrian".

    It could be "Syria" who assassinated him, who knows, Al Kataeb have a lot of haters, they're a racist fascist party. Lebanon doesn't need racists in the cabinet to try and "unite" the country.

     
  • At 11/25/2006 3:12 PM, Blogger x said…

    L.N.H I'm glad you noticed the same thing. You almost need to sit there and analyze every word you hear to filter out all of the propaganda.

    Yazan, I recommend you don't waste your time doing so.

    Omar, in Syria we used to say sarcastically "sar il walad m3ayish al 3ileh" I find it really ironic how much importance Gemayel gained after his death.

    Rime, it's my pleasure. I was referring to your interview with Hala, and I really appreciated the fact that you stuck to your opinion. I even pointed to my mom, who was watching with me, Hala's attempts at getting you to budge by presenting all kinds of flawed arguments.

    Queenie that's an interesting point, it goes along with what Omar mentioned above. The media, and more generally, politicians are using the assassination in every way possible to point the fingers to Syria.

     
  • At 11/28/2006 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Altho I agree your complaint about how CNN describes people to slant coverage, i.e. anti-Syrian or like the French female politican as "an unwed mother of four" (they don't do that to the men) Gorani actually only asked one question and a follow up about Syria being fingered. Rime also told Gorani "CNN has been covering the story very well in the past few days" and when asked about the assaination having a different tone "I agree with you, Hala". Hard to have it both ways.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, the assassination DID have another tone ... which is exactly the point, it was different (in the others, it is difficult to argue Syria can't have been guilty). And since Gemayel had just been killed, what was meant by CNN's coverage obviously was about the whole Lebanon issue and the promised demonstrations, NOT the Gemayel murder! This was a long interview, you chose to pick two points, one out of context, and one plain wrong since she didn't say it.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, you can check the transcript of the interview at CNN.com, November 21, if you don't believe she didn't say it or want to check the context.

     
  • At 12/04/2006 12:38 AM, Blogger x said…

    I don't think we should be arguing this when the interviewee herself commented here saying
    "I remember trying to maintain my position but I kept feeling I was becoming repetitive and boring"

    reading a transcript is not the same as seeing the interview.

    Anyhow, we will wait and see the outcome of the investigation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home