Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On Hummus and Aliens



The hummus revolution is taking Canada by storm. For one, Microsoft Word recognized the word, and did not draw that ugly, red, squiggly line underneath the word. Marketed as “healthy alternative” and “vegetarian certified” it’s not hard to see why it would be so popular. Plus, it tastes great.

But that’s besides the point. As far as I’m concerned, hummus is the latest victim of Capitalist bastardization of a great classic. Variations on hummus available in the supermarket these days inclu

de: spicy hummus, roasted garlic hummus, masala hummus, avocado hummus... among others. I told a friend of mine as I opened the fridge at work, seeing at least 4 varitites of hummus “we’ve been eating hummus for 3,000 years, recipe mainly unchanged. It only took a year for hummus to lose its identity.” This is the culture we live in.

======================================

I can’t help but think that as we get more technologically advanced our written culture is becoming less and less traceable. Most of what we know about the culture of ancient civilizations is through carvings, tablets, and other “concrete” forms of communication. As we start putting things on servers, CD’s, and USB drives we’re making our written culture less and less visible. It takes a pair of eyes to see the first alphabet ever created. It takes 100 years worth of technology to read an email. Soon enough the only way we’ll be able to read a Charles Dickens novel will be through a Kindle, or a computer monitor.

If a meteor were to strike our planet, and thousands of years later we are visited by extraterrestrials, how much of our written culture will they come across. I have a feeling those same tablets that we marvel at in museums will still be around, while my CD with 2,000 ebooks will be looked upon as some sort toy for children.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 11/24/2010 3:28 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    Even here Omar when I order Mezza and the waiter "Yetmanyak" and ask what kind of hummus I want I feel like throwing him out of the window.
    As far as I'm concerned there's Good Hummus and Bad Hummus and any attempt to complicate a rather simple recipe is to cover how BAD the mutant one is.

     
  • At 11/24/2010 11:54 AM, Blogger Gabriela said…

    What a coincidence.
    Just yesterday I went with a friend to grab a bite and we had hummus as appetizer. Delicious!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 2:31 AM, Blogger KJ said…

    I can't understand how someone would dare adulterate such a simple recipe.

    It is hummus for the love of food!

     
  • At 12/11/2010 8:26 PM, Blogger Ted said…

    I have never tried Hummus. Not sure if i would like it or not.

    www.pafundi.com
    ~~~~
    Number of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom casualties as confirmed by U.S. Central Command: 5827

     
  • At 1/08/2011 8:24 PM, Anonymous Isobel said…

    You know, Omar, I was thinking that too about Hummus. I love it and have a great, simple, recipe for making it at home which I far prefer to many of the crazy things I find in the supermarket. When food gets "Americanized" it can never be anything like it is back "home". Great observations as usual.

     
  • At 1/12/2011 9:33 PM, Blogger em.me.ma said…

    hmmm try i haven't noticed the mass marketing of hummus, and i think samantha from sex and the city advertising hummus as an anti-aging miracle didn't help either

     

Post a Comment

<< Home