Saturday, April 22, 2006

Interesting Science Studies 3

US fast foods get supersized fat

I’m not sure why I attack fast food chains so much, but I found this article interesting. Apparently different McDonald’s restaurants have different trans fat contents.

Quoting the article “A study of two leading restaurants found wide variations in trans fat content from country to country, from city to city within the same nation, and from restaurant to restaurant in the same city.”

Should you care? Of course you should! Trans fat is so bad that it “raises bad cholesterol and lowers good cholesterol. Eating just 5g of it per day increases the risk of heart disease by 25%” which apparently led to “prematurely killing 30,000 to 75,000 Americans a year.”

When you're in orbit, which way is Mecca?

The Malaysians are having troubles trying to locate Mecca from outer space. A space shuttle takes 90 minutes to orbit earth once, making Mecca much harder to locate. There’s a big conference coming up including religion men and scientists to help solve this “issue.” Space scientists realize that religion can be very comforting for astronauts, especially when they’re hanging hundreds of KM suspended in the middle of nowhere. My solution is put them on a rotating platform, rotating in the opposite direction of their orbit, and at the same rate of rotation.

Faces in a crowd offer alternative to passwords

This is also pretty cool. Instead of using alphanumeric passwords, now we can use familiar faces as our passwords. The idea can be extended to verficiation tests. Instead of having to type in random letters this website let’s you select kittens to prove that you’re not a spambot. Interesting.


Lastly check this out! This can be a really cool graduation gift for me, any takers?

Send something into space, for $99

A Californian company is offering to send an object of your choice into space as early as 2008, and at "bake sale" prices, as long as it fits in a soda can..

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,


6 Comments:

  • At 4/22/2006 1:48 PM, Blogger ghaloosh said…

    if it wasn't for the fits in a soda can part i would've sent people out there :P

     
  • At 4/23/2006 9:30 AM, Blogger AhMeD said…

    US fast foods get supersized fat

    - Hmmmm interesting... u know in London I swear that the food smells different :P My dad says its because they use animal oils there :S

    When you're in orbit, which way is Mecca?

    - Why don't they just play towars earth :S I have no idea why people complicate religion its so simple! I mean the further you are located from Mecca the less accurate your direction of prayer is :S for somone like you in canda you're prolly praying towards the whole city in general if not the region :S So they can just pray towards the Arabina Peninsula as best as they can :D

    Send something into space, for $99

    -I'll send an iPod Nano :P

     
  • At 4/26/2006 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always been interested in space news, enjoyed the studies you've posted :)

     
  • At 4/27/2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Betqa said…

    Hey Omar,
    I have a question comment about the "which way is Mecca" thingy.
    Even though space travel didn't exist then, fot some reason I assumed that this issue had been resolved centuries ago...Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if someone is in a situation that he or she is unable to tell which direction points to what during prayer time, that it's the intention that counts (Let's say someone is travelling through an unfamiliar area and it's a cloudy day so he wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the sun or something like that)..
    Anyways, not a huge issue with me or anything... I do however have another question... Which direction do you face if you are in Mecca? (just curious)

     
  • At 4/28/2006 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are you in london?! < gasp > you didn't even say g'bye!

     
  • At 5/02/2006 2:26 PM, Blogger x said…

    Ghaloosh, I'm afraid that'll cost more than 99$ ;)

    Ahmed, you're right. I did notice the food smelling different in London.

    Thanks Eman, nice seeing you again

    Betty, I think it should be based on intention. Technicalities shouldn't matter in extreme situations. In Mecca there are infinites directions for prayer. I think as long as you face the ka3ba, you're good to go. So it really depends on where you live there.

    Queenie, it's the thought that counts ;) I missed reading your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home