Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Direct Idiom Translation

I think some of the funniest things for any bilingual person to do is to directly translate idioms from one language into another. So here’s my crude attempt at doing so..

Arabic Idiom: Ra2bti saddadeh (you can rely on me or I got your back)
Direct Translation: My neck is a cork

Arabic Idiom: 3ala rasi (It’s my pleasure)
Direct Translation: On my head

Arabic Idiom: Sa7a (bless you)
Direct Translation: Health

Arabic Idiom: ta3abak ra7a (a courteous way to say “no problem”)
Direct Translation: Your tiredness is comfort [to me]

Arabic Idiom: sho jab la jab (there’s no comparison)
Direct Translation: what brings to bring

Arabic Idiom: Il ird b3en immo ghazal (said to one who believes all that’s associated with him/her is the best)
Direct Translation: A monkey in his mother’s eye is a gazal

Arabic Idiom: mitl il sha3ra min al 3ajeen (said to note how easy something is to do)
Direct Translation: Like a hair out of dough

Arabic Idiom: tehriya bil hana (said to someone who’s showing you a new article of clothing or shoes they just bought)
Direct Translation:
wear it out in happiness

Arabic Idiom: Mabrook (congratulations, a more common way of saying the idiom above)
Direct Translation: Blessed

Arabic Idiom: m7ammelni jmeleh (said to someone who did something good to you and keeps reminding you of it)
Direct Translation: Load me a beautiful

Arabic Idiom: Ma bisadi2 il khara gher la yara (said to someone who won’t believe what your saying to them)
Direct Translation: The shit won’t believe until he sees

Well, that’s all I got for now. I’m sure more will cross my mind, and perhaps some will comments with funny ones they thought of.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

  • At 11/30/2006 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my hand in your belt tell me where did you get these from.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger x said…

    your calculated (ma7sobak) wrote them

     
  • At 11/30/2006 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :) loved 'em

     
  • At 12/01/2006 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok, here's one I always use and each time I say it, I make my friends laugh for hours:

    - man you have a monster! (a female)

    Elak wahsheh!

     
  • At 12/03/2006 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a Panamanian friend who I taught "Sa7tain" (two healths) and the response "3ala Albik" (on your heart), that is said after one eats :p

    I also taught her "na3eeman" (blessed) :p

     
  • At 12/03/2006 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh wait! I love this one:
    Bil mish mish
    In the apricots :p

     
  • At 12/03/2006 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL. Cute. I was just thinking and we Arabs are emotional sentimental folk, so most of our phrases sound wierd translated.

    Bas to2borny shou bet3a2ed :) (You bury me how complicated you are!)

     
  • At 12/04/2006 12:31 AM, Blogger x said…

    thanks for dropping by again LNH

    Amr that's also a good one :)

    queenie, how about continuing or "daymeh"

    that's a good point Juka..
    This one time I sat on a dinner table with an older Syrian woman, and a bunch of non arabs. During our conversation the woman casually mentioned that she's "complicated" in a context that translated to me as m3a2adeh, to everyone else at the table she was just complicated..

     
  • At 12/30/2006 5:19 AM, Blogger Salma said…

    LOL!!mmmm...i think i've got some

    -Sa3eed katab ketaboh 3ala fefe:
    Happy wrote his book on inin
    -malak?= what's wrong with you?:
    Your money

     
  • At 12/30/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Salma said…

    Hey..I've another two:
    -Mate2ta3sh 3eshe=Don't fier me boss:
    Plz don't cut my bread.
    -Saba7ak eshta= good morning:
    Your morning is cream.

     
  • At 6/22/2008 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salam all,
    How about these ones!
    Two husbands of socks : jooz jrabat
    Hind's husband : jooz hind

     
  • At 4/10/2009 9:00 PM, Anonymous Isobel said…

    Omar, as someone who is trying to learn a little Arabic...this is WONDERFUL!! :) I might be able to get by on these sayings alone!! What do you think? Great post!

     
  • At 4/10/2009 9:03 PM, Blogger x said…

    Glad you liked them Isobel. I plan on writing another post with different idioms. And if you need any help please with the language let me know :)

     
  • At 4/10/2009 9:51 PM, Anonymous Isobel said…

    I didn't even realize when I commented that this post was written YEARS ago...lol!! However, I'm glad I found it quite by chance. I'll look forward to another one!

     
  • At 1/11/2010 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like them :)
    but could you pls tell me what is the proper English translation to "el kedb malosh reglen" .. I'm not joking by the way .. I really need it and thanks in advance! :)

     
  • At 5/02/2011 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar, as someone who is trying to learn a little Arabic...this is WONDERFUL!! :) I might be able to get by on these sayings alone!! What do you think? Great postblog myegy ماى ايجى http://m-yegy.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home