Sunday, March 25, 2007

Let me introduce you to some modern Canadian culture

First of all some background:

Tim Hortons is without doubt the largest coffee shop chain in Canada. The chain is named after, who else, but a famous hockey player. Tim opened the first Tim Hortons back in 1964, in Hamilton, Ontario. Fast forward 43 years and you have a 3000 store chain stretching across the US and Canada. To put it in perspective, within a 5 km radius from where I’m sitting right now, there are, without exaggeration, 10 Timmies (as they are popularly referred to).

During the morning every Timmies has a lineup extending to the doors, and drive thru’s with cars extending to the end of the driveways. At school, the students were extremely excited when the federation of students announced the opening of a new Tims on campus. This term I was surprised to see yet another Tims on campus. It’s not unusual to see students run to Timmies between classes to get their morning fix of coffee, many of them sacrificing the first few minutes of the lecture to stand in the long line up.

All that being said, it’s now appropriate to introduce you to the phenomenon that sweeps Canada on a yearly basis. Every year, Tim Hortons introduces their “Rrrol up the rim to win” contest, with prizes ranging from cars to iPod’s. The way it works is that rolling up the rim of a Timmies. Under the rim you’ll see that you should either “Play Again” or that you’ve won something.

Rrrol up the rim dominates conversations at the water cooler. “Have you won anything?”, replaces “Did you hear of the weather we’re getting?” as a conversation starter, and complaints about “I buy a coffee everyday and never win anything ever” which I say all the time, becomes a common complaint among people.

Last year though it didn’t stop there. Tim Hortons was the subject of the evening new across Canada when there was a dispute over who won a car. The dispute started “brewing”, as the CBC put it, when a 10 year old girl in Montreal found a coffee cup in the garbage. She asked her 12 year old friend to help her roll up the rim, only to reveal that this cup was actually the winner of a brand new RAV4. There was a huge dispute between the families over who gets to keep the car, and things got as far as lawyers requiring DNA samples from the cup. Finally Tim Hortons stepped in to give the car to the girl’s family who originally found the cup.

Today I had my fix of Tim Hortons and as you can see here, I have to play again. I’m optimistic, I know I’ll win something other than a cookie someday, a dream that I share with many Canadians every spring.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 3/26/2007 4:49 AM, Blogger Rambling Hal said…

    I only ever won muffins and cookies. :( And I lived right NEXT to the Tim Horton's on King Street. I hated Roll The Rim To Win season - it would depress me so much! :)

     
  • At 3/26/2007 8:46 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    i love roll up the rim season...it is the only time i actually finish my cup of coffee so i can see if won anything...i have won a donut few years ago...but I lost the little peice of paper so I didnt even claim my "prize", we'll see if i win anything today...:)

     
  • At 3/27/2007 9:32 PM, Blogger Ihsan said…

    An addition to your intro about Tim Horton, Omar. It's no longer Canadian, the brand name has been sold to an American company...just like almost anything else in Canada.

    A second addition would be that Tim Horton sucks...I hate it...

    A third addition would be braging that I, myself, won an extra cup of coffee....howevere, I nevcer claimed it...because of my addition number 2...


    I have heard the story about that girl like a hunderd time...whenever I'm with people in here and it happens that someone has a cup of Timmies and they roll up the rim...someone has to say the story over and over again....

     
  • At 3/27/2007 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ihsan, you CANNOT hate Tim Horton's :O..Ok, why do you hate it? :p

    I love when they have roll up the rim to win! I've already won three times, a coffee and two donuts. A girl in my French class won an iPod, which I thought was pretty cool. And it's the best feeling to redeem a free coffee only to win something else from the free cup :D

     
  • At 3/28/2007 12:28 AM, Blogger x said…

    Hala, if I ever win anything I'll just dedicate my prize to you.. Hopefully that will make you feel a bit better

    Hope you won Sam.. sometimes I'm too impatient and I roll the rim before finishing the coffee. No wins yet for me :(

    Ihsan, I've heard about Timmies is an American company now, it saddens me, but I guess that's what globalization is all about. You have to at least admit that the Iced Cappuccinos are good.. come on you know you want to.

    Queenie, the iPod or the TV are the two prizes I "realisticly" think I could win... come to think of it, A hybrid Camry wouldn't be all that bad either. But I guess I have to at least win a muffin before I aspire any further..

     
  • At 3/28/2007 8:37 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    i just won a coffee..yippy yippy yippy...the first win in years..i will not lose that little stub..i just had to share..:)

     
  • At 3/31/2007 6:33 PM, Blogger x said…

    hehe Congrats Sam.. inshalla bigger and better wins next time

     
  • At 4/01/2007 9:39 PM, Blogger Dandoon said…

    Roll up the rim To win sucks
    all I win is donuts and i dont like donuts :(

     
  • At 4/02/2007 12:16 AM, Blogger x said…

    Dandoon, thanks for dropping by.
    I'm not a big fan of donuts either. Try trading them cookies, no one keeps count anyway..

     
  • At 4/12/2007 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's a cute idea. Wonder if we can get the local coffee chain to adopt a similar approach.

     
  • At 5/06/2007 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tims may be big - but many of their stores are cluttered with dishes and trash on the tables in the restaurant. Many times I personally have to clear away clutter on the tables so I can sit down. Also their counter service and drive through service is slow. How can buying a coffee and a donut take so much time.

    Theo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home