Thursday, February 08, 2007

If you're looking for good cheap books, I can help

I recently learned about a very useful website that I thought I would share with you. This site is of specific importance to students in need of textbook, or professionals in need or a good reference.

It turns out McGraw Hill, Wiley, and all the major textbook publishers put out books in paperback format for about 10% of the price of the hardcover edition. The textbooks are the exact same as their hardcover counterparts, but are sometimes printed in black and white, and on cheaper paper. The only catch here is that these books are printed with the intention of giving students in third world countries access to good educational resources. So these books are only available for students in countries like India, Nepal, etc. And this is where the website comes in.

The website sells these books to anyone, anywhere in the world. I noticed that most of the students in my class have made the switch to paperback books, so when I inquired on where they got them from “firstandsecond.com” was their answer. I tried the website my self and ended up buying a $136 dollars for $30 including shipping and handling. The books are brand new and come wrapped and ready to go.

So if you’re looking around for a text, you may want to check out firstandsecond.com.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 2/08/2007 6:25 AM, Blogger Sam... said…

    Cool Man,

    Thanks for the Tip.

     
  • At 2/08/2007 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Holy moly, NOW you tell me, as I'm graduating?

     
  • At 2/09/2007 12:04 AM, Blogger x said…

    my pleasure Sam..

    I know queenie!! Isn't it ridiculous how much money we have wasted already?
    But I really thought you knew about this. Or maybe it's the fact that we have such a large Indian population at UW that we know about it

     
  • At 2/10/2007 4:49 PM, Blogger Salma said…

    Hey Omar!
    Thanks so much for the site :)
    I'll tell ma brother who studies abroad about it and i'm sure he'll be so grateful. Thanks again :)

    Peace

     
  • At 2/11/2007 8:38 PM, Blogger x said…

    Hi Salma, I hope he finds the site useful :) thanks for dropping by

     
  • At 2/21/2007 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jazak Allah khayran
    great!
    i'd ask if u can - or ur blog readers - help me in getting educational books - in low prices- on science , physics , chemistry, algebra,.... however old the publishing year is , the condition ( old ) ... , especially from publishers like: HJB , heinemann , Holt Rinehart winston , Houghton Miffilin ,scolastic , .... & sucn neat educational publishers . I have bought some from used books markets in ATTABA - EGYPT & i try doing so from ebay BUT charging fees are more than the deal itself! i wait ur help if it is possible.
    thx
    Ali - Egypt

     
  • At 2/21/2007 5:23 PM, Blogger x said…

    no problem Ali..
    tell you the truth, I haven't seen anything cheaper than the website mentioned in the post. Even the used bookstores areound here have more expensive books! One place you may want to try is Amazon.com through their used book sellers, you may find a good deal there..
    good luck :)

     
  • At 12/30/2007 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Omar, that's sooo cool to know. I've been banging on to all my friends about it.
    I've also found a great ebay store (Murder and Mayhem Books) that sells terrific new and secondhand crime fiction books at terrific prices. I've bought a couple and not only did I get a great deal, they looked like they'd hardly been read! Terrific value for cash-strapped students like me lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home