Friday, December 15, 2006

In need of a better OS

So I got another email from Microsoft, telling me to try the new Windows Vista. My first reaction was to delete the message without even opening it. Microsoft hasn’t even perfected XP yet, why are they in such a rush to release another operating system, which will more than likely, have a ton of security issues, and a thousand updates…a day.

When I first got my computer XP took up just over one GB of space. Now after a few years of use, two service packs and a million security updates later, the size of XP has taken up half of my computer!!! I now need a hard drive for Windows alone. I even heard that Windows Vista needs an operating system for itself!

Now I know all the IT geeks reading this will say “Do you know how hard it is to design an OS?” But it’s also hard to design a plane, and I certainly hear of a lot more computer crashes. What I’m trying to say is that there are many consumer products out there that we have such high expectations for. No one will ever accept their brand new car, dishwasher, or furnace to break once a month. When a certain manufacturer starts making bad quality goods, we react by not buying their products, and the company will go downhill. On the other hand, when Microsoft comes out with their Vista, bloggers will write about how aesthetically pleasing the new OS is, and how multimedia friendly it is. We will hear about Vista on TV and Radio, and people will happily format their hard drives to install it. A month later we will start getting those annoying updates, and hear about the inherent security flaws in the operating system. By then it’s too late. All new PC’s will come with Vista installed, new software will proudly display the Vista compatible sticker, and the monopolization of the computer market will continue.

I think we deserve a better operating system. I can’t even begin to imagine the countless hours lost by people because their computer crashed, the memories that went down the drain because someone lost all their photos, and all those precious computer resources going to the operating system instead of useful applications.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 12/15/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Shady Zayat said…

    get Kubuntu Linux ... to hell with Microsoft.

     
  • At 12/16/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger Chet said…

    I just bought a new computer a few months ago and it is or they say it is Vista ready. Well There is no way I will install Vista, like everything else Microsoft does, it usually causes more problems than the previous system. If Windows 98 wasn't so outdated I would have rather have had it. To me that was the only decent system by Microsoft.

    Sorry I have to sign in with my google account from my other blog. This sucks also.

    Chet

     
  • At 12/17/2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    When Windows 3.11 hit the market, I thought we've reached heaven.
    It seems that we're still in the purgatory, and that we're going to stay there for a long, very long time...

     
  • At 12/18/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger x said…

    Shady, thanks for the recommendation man. I'm going to check if the software I use on daily basis complies with that version of Linux

    Hey Chet,
    I would definitely wait before installing Vista. I'm sure there are still tons of bugs in it. It'll take at least a year before some of the security issues surface as well. Thanks for dropping by again

    Actually Abufares, I think 3.1 was really the only big jump that Microsoft made. It was innovative for the time, that's for sure. I guess we have to pay for all of Gates' sins.

     
  • At 12/27/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Maria said…

    Windows suck to a certain extent, but its user-friendly for people who know nuts about computers like me so I suppose I'm stuck with Windows.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home