Friday, January 05, 2007

South Beach The Place to Be


I came back from Florida just a few days ago, and like last term, I dove into classes the day after.

The trip was amazing! I’m always up for seeing new places, and South Beach lived up to the expectations. I was initially shocked by how rich the residents of South Beach were. Seeing Lamborghinis, Porsches and Ferraris became an hourly, quite casual occurrence. The party life was evident in every street and corner of the little island. Ocean Drive boasted some of the most romantic, picture perfect dining experiences I have ever seen, a premium place for couples and non couples alike. There were live guitar performances, saxophone players, or salsa music in almost every restaurant. Our hotel had a daily jazz night that many Miami residents frequented. We took advantage of eating out everyday by trying out Argentine, Cuban, Greek and Italian food, on Ocean Drive as well on less known streets. If you ever heading down to Miami let me know I’ll give you a nice list of amazing restaurants.

The weather was premium, it was in high 20’s, and with the humidity it felt like it was 35. The ocean didn’t disappoint, providing nice powerful waves, especially during the last few days.

The road trip to Florida and back was also a lot of fun. We saw some funny road names including:

“Stinking Creed Rd” somewhere in Tennessee

“Hiatus Dr.” which brought the obvious joke,

your boss calls you and asks “Jim, where are you right now?”

Jim: “I’m on hiatus”

Boss: “Oh ok, no problem, you don’t have to come in today?”

Sorry for the extreme cheesiness of this “joke” but after 18 hours of driving, little things make you laugh.

Also as a bonus, we took a detour to visit the first ever KFC in Kentucky. Pictures of the “KFC Museum” can be seen on my Flickr account. As usual the pictures will trickle into Flickr slowly over time, and the odd video will be uploaded to YouTube, more on that later.

I’m glad to be back. I missed reading a lot of my favourite blogs.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 1/05/2007 4:04 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    welcome back.
    BTW very nice pictures...

     
  • At 1/05/2007 9:13 PM, Blogger Lilly said…

    Welcome Back!

     
  • At 1/06/2007 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WHAT! FIRST KFC IN KENTUCKY? They must have fooled you there my friend. The first KFC opened in South Salt Lake, Utah, a few miles from my office.

    Here you go!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC

    PS nice legs ;-)

     
  • At 1/07/2007 8:14 PM, Blogger x said…

    thanks Abufares and Lilly

    Jameed, first of all thanks for the compliment ;)

    But yeah, the pics on flickr are of the home of KFC, where the recipe was prefected. Maybe the first restaurant ever was built in Utah when KFC actually became a franchise. The link below is of the sign at the front of the restaurant. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/349758144_ffb6e0c5ff_o.jpg

    Next time I'm in Utah, we should grab a few twisters

     
  • At 1/08/2007 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back.. sounds like you had a great time.

     
  • At 1/08/2007 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most important question: Did you get a tan? :p

     
  • At 1/10/2007 1:23 AM, Blogger x said…

    queenie, I was so afraid of getting sunburned that I put more than the usual amount of sunblock on. So I didn't tan to Canadian vacation standards, but people in my class did notice that "I had some colour"

     
  • At 9/16/2012 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Omar,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blog posts about Beachplace to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you :)
    Jane

     

Post a Comment

<< Home