Monday, January 15, 2007

Snooooow Day!

Well, I guess nature was listening to my call for a snow day. This morning right after I hit the snooze button, my phone rang. It was my friend calling from the university parking lot saying “Could you check if today is a snow day, there are only 9 cars in the parking lot.” With a smirk on my face I turned on the radio, and the computer to get some news. I went to the university website to see that today has been declared an official snow day.

Keeping with the tradition of snow days, I went back to sleep for a few hours, waking up refreshed and ready to go, although my sleep was interrupted several times by other friends delivering the good news to me.

The ultimate snow day was actually last year. I was co-op so it didn’t matter to me, but that wasn’t the case for my friend. She had 3 exams on the Friday before reading week… go figure! And she was complaining to me the night before on how she just doesn’t have enough time to study. God must have answered her prayer. On Friday she woke up to hear the news of a snow day, and she had an extra week to study.

Snow days are usually declared when there is too much ice on the road, not too much snow. If the county decides that there’s a great danger for students to get to school, school buses are cancelled and all staff is asked to stay home. Whenever there’s a predicted ice storm, all students tune to a local radio station for cancellation announcements.

The snow/ice storm isn’t over yet, we have about 10 cm of accumulation left. I highly doubt it, but we might get another day off tomorrow. I’m going to make sure I tune in tomorrow morning before heading out.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 1/15/2007 9:29 PM, Blogger Omar said…

    hehe..and here I was thinking that the 25 cm we got today were bad.
    and we never get days off.. big city bastards.. always prepared to salt the roads....

     
  • At 1/15/2007 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My sister, who goes to McMaster, got a snow day today as well. I don't know how bad it was in Hamilton. At York, we never get snow days, even if there was 4 feet of snow, I bet we still would've had to go to class.. :(

     
  • At 1/16/2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Ihsan said…

    oh lucky you...I went to bed last night hoping to wake up and find myself snowed in!

    We had like 20 CM here....but we had no snow day... :(

     
  • At 1/16/2007 11:56 PM, Blogger AsukaRen said…

    I just discovered your blog. Experiencing snow days I see, I know the feeling. There's a Winter storm where I am.

    Nice blog :-)

     
  • At 1/23/2007 1:33 AM, Blogger x said…

    Omar, it's usually the ice that gets ppl scared here. Ever since that day it's been pretty crappy here too..

    Queenie, I don't want to hear complaining. Don't York students get Jewish holidays off?

    Ihsan, just wait, it'll happen one day, and it'll feel damn good to go back to bed

    Sakura, welcome to the blog. I checked yours too, I like the idea of human rights one..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home