Monday, February 19, 2007

First night in Damascus

My grandparent's mini garden on the rooftop of the house, featuring herbs, peppers and pomegranates

I raced through the hallways of the Airport, eager to retrieve my bags, and see my family. I had finally returned after a 5 year absence. The customs officer was welcoming, and unlike I expected I entered the country with ease. My preparation prior to the trip had paid off. I then had to wait for my bags to come around the carousel. The plane was still being unloaded, and the minutes passed by like hours. I knew that one police officer and 30 meters was all that separated me from my family. My bags arrived, I unloaded them quickly, and decided to drag them along instead of waiting for a cart to become available. The police officer asked to check my bag, I opened it for him, and a minute later I was walking towards the great hall in the airport.

I noticed that they modified the airport since the last time I’ve been there. Instead of walking out through a 4 metre opening, I now had to follow narrow curved path out of the customs area. As soon as I turned around to face the crowd the people, I saw my grandfather there, right at the front of the crowd holding his cane and smiling. As I was greeting him, my cousin Ehab showed up and led me to my mom, brother and uncle Mohammad, who I have seen for only 5 hours during the past 10 years. We went outside to the parking lot, loaded the bags, and squeezed ourselves into the car, and headed towards home. As we got on “Airport Road” I was taken back by the dense pollution in the air. I was really irritated by the diesel smoke, generated by hundreds of aging mini-buses. I started to wonder to my self whether the pollution was there during all the years I lived in Damascus, or if it worsened during the past few years. I noticed how calm, and seemingly desensitized everybody in the car was to the poor air quality, including my mom and brother. It then hit me that the pollution had been there all along, I just had nothing to compare it to.

As we made our way through the city, I was glad to see shop signs written in Arabic and hearing people speak a familiar dialect. As we got closer to home, my cousin started quizzing “do you know what this street’s called?”, “where are we now?” I got most of the answers wrong. Half an hour after leaving the airport, we were approaching the roundabout leading to the Yarmouk refugee camp. The street was packed with people, restaurants filled the streets, and cars were lined bumper to bumper. But I didn’t mind, I wanted to take a look at the shops that lined the streets, which ones are still there and which ones disappeared. As the shops became more and more familiar I knew we were close. We made a right turn from the main street, and suddenly I was overwhelmed with familiar sights. The tiny street hadn’t changed much, except for the odd store here and there. A minute later and we were turning into our Hara (alley). The first thing that I did was look up to see our balcony, to take a look at my grandparent’s house. We unloaded the bags and I started making my way upstairs. As I was doing so every sense of mine was experiencing déjà vu. My memory seemed to suddenly liven up with visual cues. The colour and shape of the tiles, the small water faucet below the stairs, the electricity meter, my grandmothers grocery cart, and many many other features that mean nothing to anybody else, but all the world to me.

When I made it upstairs I was greeted by my aunt, grandmother, and cousins, some of whom I did not recognize. During the next hour my aunts and cousins started to make their way over. One of my cousins bought 20 different brands of chips as a welcome home. Cell phone suddenly started popping up, pictures were taken, and jokes were being told, “Omar, smi3t akher nokteh?” (have you heard the latest joke?) was a phrase that was repeated often. My grandmother then suggested that we get some traditional Shami food for my first meal back. Two of my uncles and I, got into the car and made our way to the “Meedan” quarter, famous for its traditional Shami food. I cannot describe the feeling of being thrown back into Shami culture after a five year absence. Everything from the way the Hummus dishes were decorated to the phrases like “2morni m3allim!” felt new to me. I felt like a tourist at home. After buying the foul, mssaba7a, and falafel we headed home teased by the smell the whole way back.

It was an unforgettable night.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

  • At 2/19/2007 5:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    beautiful
    and welcome back :-)

     
  • At 2/19/2007 4:41 PM, Blogger x said…

    thanks Sham.. I actually wrote this post a while back. I was in Damascus this summer, and how I wish I were there right now ...

     
  • At 2/19/2007 5:16 PM, Blogger Yazan said…

    brilliant omar...
    i miss that bloody "Arrivals" hall in that airport... it's the happy place... ur either arriving urself or waiting for someone...
    funny, I never thought that airport would take make that much difference to my life...

    cheers to us expats my friend.

     
  • At 2/20/2007 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the way you described it..actually I smell elfool wel msabbaha :)

    the photo reminds me of my grandma's "dyar"

    thanks foe sharing

     
  • At 2/20/2007 10:42 PM, Blogger x said…

    cheers Yazan

    thanks Gardenia and welcome to the blog :) I bet most people use old "tanakat" as flower pots. The tanakat certainly add some character to the picture, an surely any corner of the dyar ;)

     
  • At 2/21/2007 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes sure...my granma thought it is a must to use them. I think we "elshwam" know how to save our money ;) :)

     
  • At 2/21/2007 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In the winter, we all get nostalgic about our summer trips :) You going back anytime soon?

     
  • At 2/21/2007 5:21 PM, Blogger x said…

    queenie, I think you may have a point there. I certainly can't go back this summer, I plan on going back after graduation, so hopefully summer 2008.

     
  • At 2/22/2007 5:43 AM, Blogger Sharks said…

    Hey Omar Kifak?!
    Boy that was tense...i lost sense of the world around me while reading it...you got me back to some really nice moments...those comeback moments are priceless...i remember that I used to walk down the 7ara extremely overwhelmed wanting to hug everyone n’ even greet every cat...God bless Damascus n’ bless u Omar :)

     
  • At 2/24/2007 11:53 PM, Blogger Reem said…

    beautiful! i know the feeling since i'm familiar with it! there's something magical about damascus when u've been away for so long.. i'm going again this summer & i can't wait..

    and LOL @ the 20 bags of chips! it happened to me..only with another bag of chewing gum and candy :P

     
  • At 2/27/2007 1:32 AM, Blogger x said…

    Hey Asma, I'm doing great, thank you. I'm not sure why I have such attachement to the 7ara. Perhaps it's nostalgia, maybe it's all the good times spent there. or maybe it's just the simplicity..

    mystique, thank you. I actually couldn't resist the temptation of the chips in Syria. The night before I left I went to the nearest bakalieh, and bought a ton of chips, candy, and chocolate bars.

    I hope you have an amazing time there this sumemr.

     
  • At 2/27/2007 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you notice the presence of Iraqis in Damascus? I hear the situation becomes quite tense between Syrians and the refugees.

     
  • At 2/27/2007 10:02 PM, Blogger x said…

    It's hard not to notice their presence. I know there's general frustration with the exponential increase of rent prices due to the influx of Iraqis into Damascus.

    what have you heard about the situation?

     
  • At 2/28/2007 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard there was a violent incident after an alleged rape of a young girl by an Iraqi refugee.

    I hope the Syrian society can digest the refugees. As one who lives in a neighboring country I'm afraid that social unrest inside Syria will have its price in terms of foreign policy.

     
  • At 3/24/2007 6:33 PM, Blogger Charming-Damascus said…

    Salam
    Oh my God! That was such a good descriotion of the whole from airport to Oh how I miss that! Thanks for bringing back the memories:)And btw the pic of your grandmas minigarden made me laugh! Obviously all syrian asateeh look the same!

     
  • At 3/25/2007 6:45 PM, Blogger Lilly said…

    cool! i know exactly how you feel! i miss it also

     
  • At 3/25/2007 11:39 PM, Blogger x said…

    welcome to the blog Charming Damascus :) Your comment put a smile on my face. It's good to know that many grandmas are still practicing istoo7 planting ;)

    lilly, inshalla you'll go there soon. I sure hope to repeat the whole experience again. thanks for dropping by

     

Post a Comment

<< Home