Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dollars and Cents - Solution to today's stupid economy

Who hasn’t heard any of these?

Back in the day bread cost 50 cents.

I used to buy two pairs of shoes for 10 dollars.

In the fifties a shirt was 5 pounds.

We used to be able to buy a car for 500 dollars. And the list goes on….

At the same time, people also say, I used to get paid 50 cents an hour, or my monthly salary was 10 pounds. Obviously there’s a longing for the past where people used to buy things for a small amount of money. I say, bring the future to the past and introduce deflation. I’m sick of hearing about the economic bubble, and higher prices. I want to hear about deflation. I want to say to my kids, back in the day the price of a house was 100,000 but thanks to Daddy’s idea now it’s 2.50.

Of course I’m not only talking about deflating prices, I also want to deflate wages. Just think of the tax on your deflated pay check. It will no longer be in the hundreds of dollars, but rather fractions of cents. There are some true benefits to deflation, that economists have failed to realize. Let me explain. A brand new TV costs 1000 dollars, but wouldn’t it be more attractive if it was only $5? Even though you’re getting paid less, a $5 TV will still feel like a bargain. Thus, deflation will create a surge of money spending which will directly stimulate the economy. Huh? Huh? How am I with you so far?

And how about those credit cards? Wouldn’t it be great if you could give your daughter you credit card to go shopping knowing she won’t spend more than 7.50 since that’s the cards limit?

Deflation is also environmentally friendly. If I were to walk on the street I can easily collect 10 pennies just from scanning the road. People lost touch with the value of the penny. That innocent copper coin is viewed today as a nuisance rather than valuable currency. People don’t even bother picking up pennies when they drop them. Meanwhile, we keep cranking away making more pennies, and wasting precious copper. With deflation, people will pick up pennies when they drop them, hell, they’ll even look for pennies on the road. Deflation will help us bring back the good ol’ days where a penny made a difference. Saving natural resources is environmentally friendly, deflation is environmentally friendly.

So what are we waiting for? We can stimulate the economy, save the environment, and get a false sense of cheapness. Let’s get deflating.

Technorati Tags: , , ,


10 Comments:

  • At 3/15/2006 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar, I agree with what you posted. I can remember when a gallon of gas was $.25 and I only made 60 dollars a week. Always had money left over till the next payday. Now I can't seem to make enough to make ends meet. I think that would be great to take prices and wages back in time.

     
  • At 3/15/2006 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dont talk about gas prices...when i got my license in 1998, a gallon of gas was 77 cents! i used to fill my camry up for about $12.00.

    i miss those days.

    but seriously, goo idea....but i'm wondering....things seem cheaper back then because we know the value of a dollar these days is way less then before. but the standard of living is the same. just like when i went to Palestine....my cousin was making 6 shekels an hour which is equivilant to $1.50 here, and my bro here was making $6.00 an hour at his job. but over there, 6 shekels can buy u a meal, while if we thought about it here, $1.50 can u get pretty much nothing.

    so yea, maybe a car only cost $500....but to them that $500 was like $30,000 to us now.

     
  • At 3/15/2006 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm up for anything environmentally friendly...and while we're at reducing prices, we could start dealing strictly with coins and save on paper costs for bills :D

     
  • At 3/16/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    ahhhhh omar. At first, this kid of stuff confuses me but i think you broke it down well for me!

     
  • At 3/17/2006 7:32 AM, Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said…

    Sound's like my dad. Although his is even more "shoot me why don't you".

    "When I was your age, in the village, we used to get one sweater every year on eid and we would be so happy for that".

     
  • At 3/18/2006 5:44 PM, Blogger x said…

    That's interesting Chet.. so you're saying that the standard of living has decreased over the years. I think we also have a great number of bills to pay now that we didn't have before.. such as internet, cell, cable, etc

    Jinan, gas set me back 1/5 of my paycheck in the summer.. I used to drive a lllllong way to work everyday. I think gas prices are yet to increase more and more, we'll never see the old prices again

    Queenie, how about taking all currency and replacing it with a card which can be used everywhere! (sort of like a debit card) Ok that's a dumb idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen ;)

    Linda! nice seeing you back :) glad you liked the post

    Sha'ira, hehe that's very typical dad talk. I actually hear similar stories from both parents. I think I heard every story 50 times by now

     
  • At 3/18/2006 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar, for me I don't have a cell or pay for cable tv. The most notable increase was in my telephone bill. I have basic service that cost me 27 dollars a month now as compared to 8 dollars in the early sixty's. I do have internet service which is 20 dollars a month. also big difference that I noticed was in rent. A two bedroom apartment in the early sixty's would cost you about 65 dollars a month. Today where I live it cost 350 dollars a month to rent a two bedroom mobile home. A house or an apartment can cost 800 or 900 dollars a month. There are some for around 400 a month, but your not getting much. Wages have gotten better but the cost of living has skyrocketed. It also seems that your take home pay is not that great after the employer takes out his share for insurance etc: and the government gets its fair share of taxes. Now I can't speak for other parts of the country but here where I grew up at.

     
  • At 3/20/2006 10:30 PM, Blogger x said…

    Chet, you actually got me interested in pursuing this subject even more. I wonder if there are studies out there which talk about this issue. Is Inflation of prices exceeding the increase in wages? Your experience suggests that this is the case, I wonder if others feel the same way

     
  • At 3/20/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar I am not sure if this means anything. I never was much for keeping up with all this. I have found this on the news media and how they were coping. You might make more sense of it than me. The cost of living went up about the same in 1994-99 (CPI up 18.6%) as in 1989-94 (up 19.3%). It increased by 3.4% last year to a 174.0 level at the end of December 2000, up 17.6% from 1994. The Department of Labor vsaid wages and salaries went up an average of 3.8% in 2000. Here is the link I found it at. Like to know if it is just me or not thinking that everything has gotton out of balance. Here is the link: http://www.missouri.edu/~jourvs/sals90s.html

     
  • At 3/29/2006 1:52 AM, Blogger x said…

    Chet, the date seems to suggest the opposite of what all of us have been seeing. It seems as if wages have increased more than prices... I'm skeptical

     

Post a Comment

<< Home