Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Summer Months

Things have changed quite a bit for me since the last post. After finishing my last exam I had a few days off, which I used to set up a meeting with fellow blogger Omar Faleh, spend some time with friends, and find a place for the summer in North York.

As I write this, I’m spending my fifth night away from home. My living accommodations this time are much better than last time, but then again, nothing can compare to that place. This time around I’m living with someone who can actually speak English, and the landlord is a very nice old lady who lives in the same house. My room is huge, with an attached bathroom, so I can’t complain about that.

The reason for my move is work. This is my last work term, and I wanted to work at a place which I thought best fit my interest for a future career. Since the company building doesn’t have enough parking, I have to take 2 subways to get to work. An public transportation solution that I have come to love. Subways come every 3 minutes, so you never have to plan ahead of time, or be in a rush to get to work on time. The trip to work takes about 30 minutes including the walking, so that’s also pretty god, con

The company I work it is pretty good as well. It’s probably one of the nicest offices I have ever been in. The people seem friendly as well, a very important quality in a workplace. I am working a large project to be built in Calgary, and from the sounds of it, I’m going to be heavily involved in the design process, which is pretty sweet.

I am still adjusting to life here. For example, the local YMCA here sucks compared to the one at home. It boggles my mind how a gym half the size of the one back home, is supposed to serve a much larger population. The roads in Toronto are much worse as well. You really have to keep an eye on the pavement, to avoid the big bumps. But the worst thing about driving here has to be the lack of available parking. I got used to asking people if there’s parking available before going anywhere. I’m sure as time goes by I’m going to like living here more than being back home. I always enjoyed the big city feel, and I hope this summer experience won’t prove me wrong.

In the meantime, I would like to officially ask my dear friend Abufares for quick recipes for the novice cook. Perhaps something with eggs ;)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5/04/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    that is so cute..how u keep on comparing a place only few km away to home...this is what i did when i moved from mississauga to saskatoon..and parking..well it is only a problem if u r in downtown toronto..
    btw what r u studying?? mechanical eng??

     
  • At 5/04/2007 8:52 PM, Blogger x said…

    I can see why would you compare Mississauga and Saskatoon. It's true that wherever you go in Canada it'll pretty much look the same, but the details are always different.
    I'm studying mechanical engineering. Is your husband a mech eng as well?

     
  • At 5/04/2007 10:53 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    yeh saskatoon sucks..bas ya3ni the job apportunities are great here..and they are dying for experienced engineers and will pay great...so it is kinda or worth it i guess..
    hubby is a structual engineer..but of course he works very closely with the mechanical engineers..he drives them crazy..and they drive him crazy..trying to work around their equipments to design the buildings..he works with heavy industrial structures like cement plants and mines..fun fun fun..especially for me , i have to listen to all his work issues at the end of the day! *rolling eyes*

     
  • At 5/17/2007 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're in TO, that's so great! Now I can send you stuff about Toronto events, you don't have that "too-far"/distance excuse :)
    I love the subway as well. Actually, I love the TTC in general, Mississauga Transit needs to catch up.

     
  • At 5/19/2007 11:08 PM, Blogger x said…

    hehe send away Queenie :)
    yeah the TTC is amazing. After being the cause of much of pollution in KW and feeling guilty for so long, it's nice to be able to take public transportation and feel like you're doing something positive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home