Saturday, December 29, 2007

Maw3id 3arabi

Morning Time

The concept of showing up on time seems to be very hard to get for more people than I had originally thought. I’m generally a punctual person. I’m rarely late for an appointment no matter what the nature of meeting is. At work I was always on time, in fact most of my stress came from trying to get to work on time on a snowy day, or when the highway is jammed, rather than from getting it from the actual work. When going out with friends, picking someone up, or just meeting a few classmates for a lab, I’m on time more often than not. Naturally, a punctual person would expect others to be just as punctual, and naturally the punctual person is disappointed. This is especially true if the punctual person is an Arab. Now before you start blaming me for generalizing, I want to clarify that my views here came from personal experience, so Arabs here translates to people that I know, or have met.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard "I will be there in half an hour", only for the person to show up more than an hour later. I have often canceled going on errands to be home on time, only to be disappointed. Other times we meet up at a friend’s place to go out at a specified time, only to find out the person still needs to shower and get dressed. Is it so hard to plan ahead of time?

Take the other day for example. A bunch of us decide to meet up a coffee shop to talk over an important proposition. The meeting involves 4 people including me. Person A calls me to set up the time, and he tells me he’s going to call person B and C to communicate to them all the details. To cover my tracks, I call person C to make sure he knows the plan, but he doesn’t pick up. I call person B half an hour before meeting asking him if he needs a ride, and he tells me that person C is picking him up. I make sure B knows what time the meeting is taking place. At 2 minutes past the specified time I pull into the parking lot finding it empty. I wait in the parking lot for person A, B and C to show up, for about 10 minutes before trying to call person A. Person A doesn’t pick up, so I try person C (person B doesn’t have a cell). C doesn’t answer. Twenty minutes past the meeting time I get a call from C, telling me he just got out of the shower and two of his friends just came in to play video games. He casually invites me over to play with them. Long story short, I went home half an hour later, and the meeting didn’t happen. It turns out there was a miscommunication between B and C about the meeting time and location, and A almost got into a car accident on the way to coffee shop. Dramatic, but I chose to believe the story.

This also happens on a family level. I especially hate it when a family promises to come over at a certain time, only to show up hours later. Food gets cold, normal movement in the house stalls, and quite frankly I want to get back into my comfortable sweat pants. Of course when the family shows up, there are no apologies for being late, since it’s expected. After all it’s a maw3id 3arabi (Arabic meeting).

This sort of thing happens all the time, sometimes I tolerate it, at other time I give everyone a piece of my mind. But one thing that will always tick me off is when people pronounce ahead of time “I’ll come over at 9… maw3id 3arabi.”

Perhaps I should relax a little, sometimes I think instead of expecting everyone to be on time, I should just change my expectations and become like them. I have tried being late with people who are late with me, and although it definitely removes the stress of making it somewhere on time, it still feels wrong. Ghandi said “be the change you want to see in the world” but I’m afraid the world is beginning to change me.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 12/29/2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    lol Omar, I am sorry to say that I am one of those people you speak of here, I am always late, except when I am the Syrians bloggers' meetup organizer, I show up 15 minutes early ;-)
    We had the meeting yesterday morning, we wished you, Abu Fares, Yazan, Yaman, Ayman and others were there with us. We had so much fun.
    Btw, I used to be a punctual person, and I was furious with people who were always late with me, till I've become one too. Not sure if they've changed me or that I am getting irresponsible.
    I'll promise you this, I'll never be late in any bloggers' meetup. Actually I'll try to be punctual again and get over with this whole thing :/

     
  • At 12/30/2007 1:34 AM, Blogger Yazan said…

    One thing I've got to give to the Japanese, they're never late. Nothing is ever late. If anything, it is irritably punctual.
    Which works quite well for me, because I was always the one who has to "ye7joz el-tawleh" back home, because I happen to arrive on time. [yehjoz al-tawleh, is so high school, I know!!!]

     
  • At 12/30/2007 4:50 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    oops..that is me...im always late...always! ok 95% of the time...unless it is to catch a plane or something that will not wait for me..my dad is like u..he is actually always 10-15min early for everything..it drove us crazy...i think this is why im always late..because it was very annoying going anywhere with baba and on a subconsious level im trying to not be like him...so im always late...this is why i will never take a job that does not have flexi hours..:)

     
  • At 12/30/2007 7:42 PM, Blogger Ted said…

    I am always early myself, but I have found out that since we became foster parents, we run a little later than I like.

    Being Mormon, I notice that Mormons are almost always late, no matter what. Mormon Standard Time I think they call it. Always about 10 min behind.

    Merry New Year and Peace in 08

    www.pafundi.com
    ============================
    Number of Operations Iraq Freedom and Enduring Freedom casualties as confirmed by U.S. Central Command: 4356

     
  • At 12/31/2007 12:19 PM, Blogger queenie said…

    I'm happy to say that I've never pulled a "maw3id 3arabi" stunt. I'm a pretty punctual person, not always right on the dot, but I keep a maximum 5 minute early/late time-frame. It's really frustrating when others are inconsiderate of your personal schedules. We have clocks and dates for a reason. If everybody ignored structured time, it'd be chaos, and the "maw3id arabi" people would be the first to complain I bet!

     
  • At 1/02/2008 5:46 AM, Blogger x said…

    Razan, I will be timing you at the next blogger meeting. Glad to hear the meetings are happening again.

    Yazan we have something in common then.

    Sam, even with being punctual I still need a flexible hour job. There's so much stress added when you have to make work at a certain time.

    Ted, I think Mormon Standard time is tolerable. What bothers me are people who are late over half an hour, or forget the meeting altogether.

    Queenie, very well put. Knowing this gives me more reason to have a coffee with you ;)

     
  • At 1/09/2008 10:42 AM, Blogger poshlemon said…

    Omar,

    I am here a bit too late. But, I love this post. Thanks for writing about it. I am one of those people who are generally late because I don't know how to joggle in things to fit into a certain time schedule. I have just not mastered this art. However, when it comes to business/professional meetings, I am spot on time. I dare not play around with those professionals ;) hehe

    But when it comes to friends, I guess I feel comfortable enough to take my time. But, it is rude and not nice. I have had to wait a several times myself and I know the feeling. I guess you don't have to be too punctual but I don't think the problem is you. I think for someone to be as late as an hour after a set-appointment, then that someone has issues.

     
  • At 1/09/2008 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :)

    It doesn't mean that if the whole world is on the wrong track that we should follow.

    Being punctual is something very essential, it portrays the personality a lot and is very under estimated in our culture.

    I always make a big fuss when my friends are late, and I mean BIG. But it has been years and they still haven't changed.

    A funny story was when we were bus touring with some Germans. My mom being German we would always be on time for the bus to move on, but the other Germans would be even 30min earlier just in case anything happens:D

    Now thats overdone:p

     
  • At 1/29/2008 9:13 PM, Blogger Lost said…

    Lol nice post. I find this really funny. It happens to me all the time with arabs (eventhough i am an arab myself, i still make it on time, that is why i am able to relate to you on this topic)LOL...and the thing that get's on my nerves is when there are gatherings, i,e weddings and b-day parties, it clearly states on the invatation that the wedding/party starts a 5 yet most of the arabs get there at 9 lol when the party is almost done. LOL...funny...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home