Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Power of Myth

After watching Zeitgeist, I was compelled to do some research into Part One of the documentary, which argues that Jesus is in fact the same god as Horus (the Sun God for Egyptians) and numerous other gods from other religions and myths such as Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Orus and Cadmus. While I was researching online I developed an interest in comparative mythology which lead me to a great documentary series called “The Power of Myth.”

In “The Power of Myth,” Joseph Campbell , a leading scholar in mythology is interviewed by Bill Moyer, who discusses deep issues with Campbell concerning the meaning of life, heaven, good, evil, and even god. Campbell draws on his extensive knowledge of mythology to answer these questions, often offering striking similarities between mythology and religion.

During one of the interviews Campbell stresses that we should not take a myth or religion as prose but rather as poetry, and that we often read the metaphors in terms of their “denotations instead of connotation,” leading to many of the issues we have today. He believes that every time has it’s myth or religion which is capable of explaining the universe, and existence in terms of the knowledge available at that specific time.

Later during the interview Campbell emotionally says that “the real horror today is what we’re seeing in Beirut, where the three great western religions (Islam, Judaism and Christianity) who have three different names for the same biblical god can’t get on together. They’re stuck with their metaphor, and don’t realize its reference.”

I truly think that if we all thought like Campbell the world would be a much better place. The first example that comes to mind is the interpretation of the “Promised Land,” which without argument has lead to one of the messiest situations in recent history.

I totally recommend watching “The Power of Myth” if not for Campbell’s deep insight, then for the great myths that he narrates during the documentary.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2008 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks for sharing this, Omar, interesting indeed, I'll add it to the list of videos I need to watch in a net café, no videos are watchable at home.

    Ihsan, of course there are Jews in Lebanon, and they're organized, but you're right they're not politically represented, but I think as the Armenians, they do have an influence in regards to the Lebanese parliament elections, you can view their blog here:

    http://thejewsoflebanon.org

    In fact, I can say that they are the only Arab Jews in the Arab world who're still connected to their home lands, they refer to themselves as "Lebanese" and not "Jews from Lebanon" as some do in Morocco, for example. There are reasons for their Lebanese nationalism which I wont go through here right now.

    Omar, I am liking that you're getting active again, actually I still remember the post you wrote on that novel your professor recommended you to read, I love that post, keep it up!

     
  • At 1/13/2008 3:15 PM, Blogger x said…

    Ihsan I think that Campbell was probably refering to Lebanese civil war, and the Israeli invasion of Beirut. The documentary was shot in the mid-80's and I think the news was still fresh in Campbell's head.

    Razan, I found the 4th episode on Google Video, but the one I quoted from is the 2nd episode of the series. Thanks for your words of support. The truth is school has kept me busy, and I'm getting lazier. But I'm always thinking about the blog and I continue to follow Syria Planet closely. Oh, very interesting facts about Lebanese Jews too :)

     
  • At 1/14/2008 1:27 AM, Blogger Yazan said…

    I never watched the documentary, but I read Campbell's book with the same title. And I can say I was equally impressed.

    On a different note, his "The Hero with a thousand faces" is also an extremely interesting read on comparative mythology.

    I will have to check the documentary though, might add some stuff that i didnt quite grasp when I first read the book. especially that I read an arabic translation [dar el-hasad], not bad, but still, not immaculate.

     
  • At 1/14/2008 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Omar,
    for me there is nothing more actual and real than (GELGAMISH EPIC) in the you-tube there is well narrative version

     
  • At 1/14/2008 12:37 PM, Blogger poshlemon said…

    Omar,

    I was very astonished myself when I watched Zeitgest and embarked on a similar research with regards to the similarities pointed out between Jesus and mythological figures. I never continued deep into my search due to circumstances but it is an interesting topic I would like to explore as I am very interested in religion especially Islam and Christianity and my approach to them is from an academic standpoint. When it comes to me personally, my religion is very personalized. And this is where I could relate to the whole idea of looking at religion metaphorically. However, in certain cases, such as when reading the Quran, I think a literal reading of it would be recommended as I believe that certain things in the Quran, which seem to be very clear and lacking for any further explanation, have been taken out of context and reinterpreted alongside the Prophet's sayings and the result is generally problematic. An example I could give would be the issue regarding the "Hejab", which itself requires a literal reading of the verses as well as a metaphorical understanding of these verses and their context; here, I only refer to the Quranic verses.

    Anyways, this is a very interesting topic. I will look into the documentary you recommended.

     
  • At 1/15/2008 11:07 AM, Blogger Abufares said…

    Thank you Omar for an interesting post. Since I'm a Book man, I will try to get and read it soon.
    This particular topic "mythology and religion" fascinates and intrigues me

     
  • At 1/23/2008 12:59 AM, Blogger x said…

    yazan, the documentaries are named after his books I think. So They should be a good summary of his ideas.

    le, I might have to check it out.

    Poshlemon, thanks for the very thoughtful comment. I agree that some things should be taken literally. But sometimes it's hard to determine which to take as is, and which we should interpret. But I think just knowing that religion requires interpretation is a step forward.

    Abufares, I'm sure you'll enjoy the book. The subject is very interesting. May I suggest reading "Fingerprints of the Gods" the topic of which talks about a travelling civilization that taught Egyptians and the Aztecs all they knew. The book discusses a lot of the common myths between both civilizations and draws conclusions about a common teacher using these parallels..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home